No one wants those tiny, annoying flying bugs in their house, but having them in your bedroom is uncalled for. The constant buzzing ticks you off and keeps you awake in the middle of the night. That’s a problem that you need to get rid of immediately!
To start acting on your fly problem, you need to do exactly two things. Firstly, you need to make sure that you’re dealing with fruit flies. That’s because It’s unusual to find fruit flies in bedrooms. Secondly, once you’re sure, you need to know exactly how to get rid of the fruit flies in the bedroom and not allow them to breed once and for all.
- 1 Identifying the Type of Fly You’re Dealing With
- 2 How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies in the Bedroom And Not Allow Them to Breed
- 3 Frequently Asked Questions
- 3.1 Where are Fruit Flies Coming From?
- 3.2 How Long do Fruit Flies Live Indoors?
- 3.3 Is Wiping Surfaces with Lemon Effective Against Fruit Flies?
- 3.4 Can I Use Hydrogen Peroxide or Bleach to Get Rid of Fruit Flies in the Drain?
- 3.5 How Do I Prevent Fruit Flies from Infesting my Home?
- 3.6 Are There Any Health Concerns Coming From a Fruit Fly Infestation?
- 4 White Fruit Flies – Conclusion
Identifying the Type of Fly You’re Dealing With
The first step you need to do to get rid of the buzzing monsters is identifying the type of bug you’re dealing with. There are several types of tiny flies that are commonly confused for one another. Those flies infest your house for different reasons and they all require slightly different treatments.
Having a master bathroom is a source of convenience within your bedroom. However, it’s a different story when those small pests start expanding their territory within your sleeping grounds. Drain flies, also known as sink flies, are those moth-like flies that hang around sinks, drains, and other sources of stagnant water.
Drain flies feed on bacteria and organic substances that exist in still water. They could also reproduce within your pipes for up to 300 eggs every 48 hours. However, the good news with drain flies is that unlike the other types of household flies, they aren’t harmful to humans.
Many of us have green plants within our bedrooms. They might bring us calmness and security while beautifully decorating the room, but they could also be the reason for some serious flies infestation.
Gnats are very similar to fruit flies and are mostly confused with them. They have a similar structure, but with much darker bodies, and without the red protruded eyes. They live within moist soils and potting mixes, and primarily feed on fungi and other organic substances within the soil.
How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies in the Bedroom And Not Allow Them to Breed
If you’re one of the people who like to bring food to their bedroom, especially fruits, then fruit flies might become your sworn enemies. Fruit flies are those tiny red-eyed fiends that feed on decaying fruits and other substances high in fructose.
The problem with fruit flies is that once they’ve invaded your house, they could start laying up to 500 eggs daily on any rotting or decaying fruit left behind. So, your small flies problem becomes a huge one within a few days. So, understanding how to deal with the problem quickly is crucial.
1. The Easy Method
An easy way to get rid of a newly surfacing bug problem is to thoroughly clean your bedroom. Finding out the source of the infestation and getting rid of it could resolve the problem right away.
Throw away all food remains, snack packages, and vacuum the floor to get rid of bread crumbs and other small fruit pieces. Also, clean up all your trash cans. If you have any sticky, sugary objects like gum or candy wraps, you want to throw them away, and wash up the place you found them.
2. The Non-Toxic Vinegar Trap Method
If simple cleaning doesn’t fix the issue at hand, you’ll need to take action immediately. One of the methods that use the fruit flies’ love for sugar against them is the vinegar mix solution trap.
A vinegar trap is a homemade trap that is easy to make and doesn’t require any special ingredients. All you need is:
- Disposable, uncovered container filled with water.
- Tablespoons of white vinegar or apple cider.
- Tablespoons of sugar.
- Some teaspoons of dish soap.
Mix all of them inside the water container and place them in your bedroom where most of the fruit flies are swarming. This mixture attracts the flies to it and drowns them in the solution. It might not be the most elegant method, but it’s definitely an effective one.
3. The Swimming Pool Trap Method
- BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: The Bragg ACV Vinegar is made from organically grown apples, and offers various health benefits. To easily incorporate ACV...
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered, and crafted from organically grown apples. It is USDA certified organic, Non-GMO Verified, and...
- MOTHER OF VINEGAR: The ‘Mother’ consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product its murky appearance. The...
Another homemade remedy to get rid of the fruit flies is the swimming pool trap. Similar to the vinegar trap, the swimming pool trap allures flies towards it and traps them inside.
With the swimming pool trap, you fill an unwanted container with leftover apple cider and a few drops of dish soap, then blend them well. After that, cover the container with a transparent plastic wrap and poke a hole, big enough to fit a fruit fly, in the middle of it.
The trap attracts the flying nuisances inside and doesn’t allow them to fly outside until they drown.
- GLAD CLING ‘N SEAL WRAP: Extend foods' freshness with 2X Freshness Protection with an airtight seal and moisture block technology; Packaging may...
- PLASTIC FOOD WRAP: Glad Food Cling ‘N Seal clings to multiple surfaces including glass, metal and wood to keep leftovers fresh and prevent unwanted...
- CLING TIGHT WITHOUT A FIGHT: Glad Cling ‘N Seal grips tight, seals easy and is an ideal clinging wrap for steaming, protecting and reheating food...
4. The Fly Traps Method
- Pest Control: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Protect your best inside plant from fungus...
- Easy To Use: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- Organic Gardening: Safe way to remove small pests with non toxic and no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are...
Another way to get rid of fruit flies inside your bedroom is by buying some ready-made sticky fly traps from any convenience store. They won’t only attract fruit flies, but they will also attract every other type of flies around the room.
You could simply use one by placing it on the area where the fruit flies gather. Then, leave it until the entire sticky area is full, and dispose of it.
5. The Chemical Method
- 💥NONTOXIC. KID SAFE. FAMILY SAFE. Six Feet Under is made of non-toxic ingredients and is safe for use in homes and around food. NOTE: Six Feet...
- 💥POWERFULLY POTENT and FAST ACTING FORMULA with no harsh chemicals. Protect your home from the destructive behavior of insects with this pest...
- 💥SWEET AROMA of cinnamon with a touch of clove. Smells and fragrances can be a real challenge to get right in insect sprays. Subtle is usually...
Another convenience store method is simply buying fly spray which you could simply spray on the fruit flies. If you have toddlers or pets at home, make sure that you’re buying the non-toxic variants of the fruit-fly sprays.
6. The Professional Method
If you have a large house, and fruit flies aren’t only infesting your bedroom, but also your kitchen, living room, and other parts of the house, it might be wise to call on an exterminator. Aside from the high cost of hiring an exterminator, it’s a success-guaranteed method.
And if for any reason, the problem manifested itself again, you could call them once more to get rid of the insects for free or at a lower cost.
Frequently Asked Questions
It’s necessary to understand where the fruit-fly problem is coming from. For that, here are some of the often-repeated questions about fruit flies infestation.
Where are Fruit Flies Coming From?
If you’ve accidentally brought some decaying fruits or left some fruits or vegetables on your kitchen counter, that is probably the main source that is attracting fruit flies to your house. Those tiny flies enjoy sugary substances and are extremely attracted to them.
They may also mate in kitchen drains where leftovers accumulate. In addition to that, leaving garbage cans, and mop buckets unclean might also attract them.
How Long do Fruit Flies Live Indoors?
Under favorable circumstances, fruit flies can live up to fifty days inside your house. They could also breed as early as two days after maturing.
Is Wiping Surfaces with Lemon Effective Against Fruit Flies?
Not at all, wiping surfaces with lemon, or other fruity citrus materials has proved counterintuitive as it serves as a great breeding ground for fruit flies.
Can I Use Hydrogen Peroxide or Bleach to Get Rid of Fruit Flies in the Drain?
You could most definitely pour bleach or other fat-dissolving substance into the drain to get rid of some of the food sticking on your drain pipes. However, it wouldn’t clean everything up as bleach will pass too fast through the pipes, and won’t stay on top of the food remains.
How Do I Prevent Fruit Flies from Infesting my Home?
The rule of thumb when dealing with fruit flies is to keep everything covered. Keep all your fruits and vegetables stored in the fridge, and cover whatever food that lies on the counter. Try to keep all surfaces squeaky clean all the time as well.
Are There Any Health Concerns Coming From a Fruit Fly Infestation?
Fruit flies are definitely one of the unexpected sources of food poisoning. Because they fly around your kitchen counters and on top of rotten fruits and decaying matter, they transport unwanted bacteria and germs like E.coli, salmonella, and listeria.
White Fruit Flies – Conclusion
Learning how to get rid of fruit flies in the bedroom and not allow them to breed would give you the quality sleep that you deserve. A fruit fly infestation is no joking matter inside any household. It could cause serious health problems or even food poisoning. And for these reasons, you should always be wary of scattered food that remains around your bedroom.
Always clean all surfaces thoroughly, and immediately deal with any fruit flies problem because they could reproduce in thousands in mere days. You don’t need to resort to any fancy methods to make sure that your house is free of flies. All you need are a few house supplies and some patience, and you’re good to go.
CLICK HERE to shop our complete selection of non-toxic pest control options!