Do you know what the types of moths in house are? Do you have a clothes moth infestation in your home? Seeing clothes moths in your home is not a good sight to see. Common clothes moth larvae feed on old clothes, so if you are seeing moths in your closet, then it’s time to clean up.
This is especially true for vulnerable fabrics and other infested material sometimes even chocolate or your food source. There are many types of moths that feed on natural materials like:
- Mottled wings pantry moths
- Large moths
- Mediterranean pantry moth/mediterranean pantry moths
- Luna moth
- Adult indian meal moths
- White shouldered house moth
- Clothes moths
- Case bearing clothes moth
- Indian meal moth
- Common clothes moth
Most moths like have a brown head/brown heads, have their wings flat, and like to hang out in places like irregular holes, dark locations/dark spaces or any place where there is organic debris. Sometimes, associated with your moth problem are tiny caterpillars. Caterpillars feed on a silk cocoon.
Common clothes moth or a case bearing clothes moth can leave their excrement behind called frass, which a larval caterpillar can feed on. A single moth can do a ton of damage to your clothes, so it’s important to get a pest control specialist right away as soon as you see a common clothes moth in your closet.
If you are looking to get rid of moths right away, then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will be helping you identify different species of moths in your home. Additionally, we will also be mentioning some organic ways on how you can get rid of them in your home.
- 1 What Is a Brown House Moth?
- 2 Behaviour
- 3 Identification of Moth Species
- 3.1 Clothes Moths
- 3.2 Pantry Moths
- 3.3 Carpet Moths
- 3.4 Brown House Moths
- 3.5 White Shouldered House Moth
- 3.6 Hummingbird Clearwing Moth
- 3.7 Fall Webworm Moths
- 3.8 Isabella Tiger Moth
- 3.9 Mediterranean Pantry Moth
- 3.10 Cecropia Moths
- 3.11 Indian Meal Moths
- 3.12 Types of Moths in House: Case-Bearing Clothes Moths
- 3.13 Types of Moths in House: Webbing Clothes Moth or Common Clothes Moth
- 4 Natural Remedies for Moth Infestations
What Is a Brown House Moth?
A moth is an insect that belongs to the order Lepidoptera, which also includes butterflies. Moths are characterized by their scaly wings and typically have stout bodies. They come in various sizes, shapes, and colors, ranging from small and inconspicuous to large and vibrant.
Moths are nocturnal creatures, meaning they are primarily active during the night. They are attracted to light sources and are often seen fluttering around artificial lights. Unlike butterflies, moths tend to have more muted coloration and patterns, which helps them blend into their surroundings.
- VALUE SET: Available in 4, 8 and 12 packs to of fruit fly traps for indoors. Designed to attract house flies, mosquito, knat, gnats, along with many...
- EASY TO USE: Just simply open the wrap of our fly catcher, fold panels into place, remove the protective paper from the glue strip, and lastly apply...
- LONG LASTING: Our bug indoor trap with a double strength adhesive secures a reliable and lasting application with every use and utilizes sticky glue...
The moth is a predatory animal. Lizards, birds and spiders eat moths inside various flying insects. Moths are developing defence strategies to fight the threats that exist.
Caterpillars are often deceptionists who use fake “eyed eyes” to be menacing. Others are extremely noxious and have hairy hairs that pierce the thorax.
Identification of Moth Species
Before addressing the moth infestation, it is important to identify the specific species you are dealing with. Different types and species of moths have distinct physical characteristics and behaviors. The most common moth species found in households include clothes moths, pantry moths, and carpet moths.
Clothes moths are notorious for causing damage to natural fibers such as wool, silk, and fur. Understanding their habits and lifecycle is essential in effectively eliminating them.
Pantry moths, also known as Indian meal moths, infest stored food items such as grains, cereals, and dried fruits. These moths have distinctive reddish-brown wings and are often found near pantry shelves or kitchen cabinets. Identifying and eliminating their food sources is crucial in preventing their spread.
Carpet moths, as the name of certain species suggests, target carpets, rugs, and upholstery. These moths are small and have a golden-brown coloration. They can cause significant damage to carpets and other textiles if not addressed promptly.
Brown House Moths
The Brown House moth has a long history as an Asian bird. Despite being a pantry moth, the brown house moth larvae will also appear in the entire home. Brown House Moth adults can grow up to 14 inches in length and have wingspans between 16mm and 17mm. Usually the wings appear brown in colour and dark spots appear on the wings. Larvae are found in the pantry, floors, and clothes.
White Shouldered House Moth
Indication: Entomart Attracted to light white-shouldered houses, moths (Endroisis sarcitrella) are found floating around lamps in homes, factory floors, offices etc. Additionally, warmer temperatures and Central Heating will keep the adults moths active throughout all seasons, and the larva are omnivorous. The moth lays its eggs on food suited for their larvae.
For example protein-based fibres like wool, fur, feathers, leather or suede. A large portion get rid of moths because their population eats anything from grains such as grain-filled bread or rice. White shoulder, moths tend to be white shouldered house moths have a white head and a white crest on top shoulders.
- Yellow sticky trap: bright color attract flying insects, and high quality glue keeps them from escaping. Specially designed for flying plant pests....
- Easy to use: the fruit fly traps for indoors with sharp bottom can be inserted directly into the soil, avoiding the trouble of tying ropes or hooks.
- Safe and non-toxic: gant traps for house indoor use bright colors and glue to catch pests, no odors and harmful drugs, no harm to people and pets.
Hummingbird Clearwing Moth
Clearwing moths and hummingbirds are equally attracted towards gardens and pollinators as butterflies. Furthermore, You might be able to find hummingbird clearwing moths in the garden if the plant is capable of providing nectar like coral honeysuckling.
Clearwing house moths only survive in adults an estimated 1-2 days and remain pupats for the winter. They are densely furry and have large clear wings. Additionally, It may be difficult to identify these indoor moths from hummingbird moths by their distinct brown or black borders.
Fall Webworm Moths
Fall webworm moths can be easily identified as adults as caterpillars. It begins life as tiny white caterpillar with black stripes on its backs. Additionally, It is possible to find adult moth in its distinctive nesting nests in trees near secluded forest edges.
You may find more fall spider-like moths during the winter and spring when you see nests in fall and winter. Thankfully, the web of moth larvae does not harm trees unless they die already.
Isabella Tiger Moth
You can usually distinguish an Isabella Tiger Moth more easily than brown house moths if you thought they were caterpillars. Additionally, Isabella tiger moth caterpillars will easily be noticed by the reddish brown pattern on the backs. Furthermore, It eventually grows into a large moth with a wingspan of about 1.63″. Isabella tiger adult moths can reach 2.5 ft wingspan.
Mediterranean Pantry Moth
Keep the flour. Mediterranean and flour moths. Pantry moths are extremely harmful. Furthermore, While the moth usually focuses on flour, these insects also lay eggs near cereals, dry grains, bran and oatmeal. Additionally, The infestation can be diagnosed by the larvae’s silk-covered webbing.
The biggest moth in North America is cecropia moths, which have wingspan ranging from 6 to 7 inches. Cecroporae are an intimidating caterpillar due to their bristles.
Indian Meal Moths
Many persons who want to find house moth identification are looking for information about the Indian food moth. The indian meal moth has an extremely unique appearance; it features a small bronze coloured head and a bronze shoulder.
Types of Moths in House: Case-Bearing Clothes Moths
Rarer than Webbing-Closthes Moth Case-Bearing Clothes Moth (Tinea Pellionella) is a larva whose fibers are woven around silk cocoon itself and which bind with its skin as the larva is exposed to the worm. The tube looks a little like rice grains, but with a good inspection the brown or creamy white of larvae emerge from one side. Case carrying clothing. moth adults are 6-7 cm long and have three spots in the wings.
Types of Moths in House: Webbing Clothes Moth or Common Clothes Moth
A common and damaging occurrence in the list is the Webbing Clothes Moth (Tineola bissellia). Additionally, They are tiny moths, measuring 6 to 7 cm long when matured. Usually they crawl and do not wing.
- Bug zapper use blue-violet light to attract mosquitoes, gnats, aedes mosquitoes,moths, and other most insects. Once mosquitoes fly in, they will be...
- Mosquito zapper outdoor is EPA registered, safe for your family and pet. It is made of ABS plastic, has a safety grid to keep children and animals out...
- Wider defense range Up to 1,500 sq. ft and can be used at home, patio, lawn, garden, or even while camping.Works better at night and in darker...
Natural Remedies for Moth Infestations
If you prefer eco-friendly and non-toxic methods, there are several natural remedies that can help control moth populations in your house.
Types of Moths in House: Cedar Wood
Cedar wood has natural moth-repellent properties due to its aromatic oils. Additionally, Place cedar blocks or sachets in your closets, drawers, and storage areas to keep moths at bay. Furthermore, Remember to refresh the scent periodically to maintain its effectiveness.
Types of Moths in House: Lavender Sachets
Similar to cedar wood, moths dislike the scent of lavender. Create small sachets filled with dried lavender flowers and place them in your closets and drawers. Additionally, Not only will they deter moths, but they will also add a pleasant fragrance to your clothes.
Types of Moths in House: Essential Oil Repellents
You can make your own natural moth repellents using essential oils. Mix a few drops of essential oils such as lavender, cedarwood, or rosemary with water or carrier oil. Additionally, Spray or apply the mixture to fabrics, carpets, or areas prone to infestation.
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap mosquitoes, gnats, flies, horse fly, housefly, nat, lantern fly, knat, and many other irritating flying insect with this...
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Hanging hook lets you place the trap anywhere near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, and catch all pests. Try...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, garage, patios, gardens, stable, lawn, chicken coop, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects to keep them...