In this article, I’ll review the 5 best kid safe fly repellents that can effectively keep the flies at bay. Let’s see how they stack up.
Going camping with your family is priceless. It’s a good time for you to connect more with your kids. But things start going south when the nosy, uninvited guests show up: flies.
Not only are they annoying, but they can also transmit a wide array of diseases like diarrhea, typhoid, and eye infections. And although the incidences are rare, I’m sure no parents want to take a chance with their kids’ well-being.
- 1 The Best Kid Safe Fly Repellents: Reviews
- 1.1 OFF! Family Care Insect & Mosquito Repellent – Best Overall
- 1.2 Cutter Family Mosquito Wipes – Best Portable
- 1.3 Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent – Best Odorless
- 1.4 California Baby Plant-based Natural Bug Repellant – Best kid safe fly repellent for Sensitive Skin
- 1.5 Avon Skin-So-Soft Expedition Bug Guard – Most Versatile
- 2 Kid-Safe Fly Repellent: Buyer’s Guide
- 3 General Tips for Better Bug-Free Experience
- 4 The Verdict
The Best Kid Safe Fly Repellents: Reviews
How does every repellent perform? What are the active ingredients? Are there any downsides to consider? These are some of the questions that I’ll answer in each of the following reviews.
OFF! Family Care Insect & Mosquito Repellent – Best Overall
- DEET insect repellent
- Mosquito repellent that protects against mosquitoes that may carry the Zika, Dengue, or West Nile viruses
- Repels biting flies, gnats, no-see-ums, ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes
Going out for short occasions? If so, this fly repellent from OFF! should be your best bet. OFF! decided to include no more than 15% DEET in this formula, which is half the maximum allowed percentage. This makes the repellent safer, but it also shortens the efficacy period.
Not only does this repellent deter flies, but it also feels amazing on your skin. Thanks to the powder-dry formula, your kids won’t be grossed out by that greasy, oily feel.
And just like any other repellent, this one protects from other bugs like mosquitoes, gnats, ticks, chiggers, and fleas.
Is there something I don’t like? Yes, the price. OFF! charges about 4x or 5x the average! Then again, it’s a small price to pay to ensure your kids’ safety.
- A dry formula that feels good on the skin
- Minimal DEET content
- Safe for all the family
- Notably expensive
Cutter Family Mosquito Wipes – Best Portable
No products found.
Spray repellents are no doubt the most effective. But they can feel too limiting if you want to go for a quick walk outside. In that case, consider those convenient wipes from Cutter.
This palm-sized package contains 15 wet towelettes. All you have to do is pull one and use it to wipe your kid’s exposed skin. If you think the towelette still has some remaining moisture, you can shove it back inside the reusable pack for later use.
But with only 7.15% DEET, such wipes won’t provide enough protection if you have a serious fly population in your area.
- Convenient reusable package
- Feels soft on the skin
- Weak formula
Sawyer Products 20% Picaridin Insect Repellent – Best Odorless
- Safe for use on the whole family, long-lasting insect and tick repellent spray deters a wide variety of pests — up to 12 hours against mosquitoes...
- Fragrance-free topical insect repellent with 20% Picaridin — more effective at repelling biting flies than DEET; repels disease-spreading ticks...
- Very comfortable to wear on your skin, it's ideal for all your outdoor adventures, from camping, backpacking, hunting, and fishing to backyard BBQs,...
If your kid refuses to use a bug repellent owing to the awful smell, you should try this spray from Sawyer. Unlike my previous suggestions, the active ingredient here is picaridin. If you’re unfamiliar, this substance is well known for having minimal, if any, odor. And with 20% of that powerful material, your kid will enjoy 8 hours of safety, to say the least.
What’s more, Sawyer was keen on enhancing the formula to ditch that yucky, greasy feel. The dry nature of the picaridin itself allows for fantastic results, too. These features make it the favorite for many kids around the world.
Budget-wise, this repellent isn’t that affordable, but it’s isn’t crazily expensive like the one from OFF!
- Long effective period
- Dry application
- Picaridin still needs scientific research to prove its long-term safety
California Baby Plant-based Natural Bug Repellant – Best kid safe fly repellent for Sensitive Skin
- VERY EFFECTIVE, DEET-FREE FORMULA: Our award-winning Natural Bug Spray harnesses the power of citronella and lemongrass essential oils which smell...
- SAFE FOR BABIES 6 MONTHS AND OLDER: We only use essential oils to repel bugs - no harsh chemicals. This DEET-free formula is safe for babies over 6...
- BEAUTIFUL CITRONELLA AND LEMONGRASS SCENT: Most bug sprays have a toxic, cough inducing scent. Our Bug Spray for kids harnesses the power of...
Kids with sensitive skin have always suffered from bug repellents. No matter how dilute they are, the chemicals will probably cause itchiness and inflammation. If this sounds familiar, search no further!
California Baby manufactures this repellent from natural plants like lemongrass, cedar, and citronella. Unlike DEET and picaridin, these plants soothe the skin while keeping the flies away.
In case you’re wondering, California Baby stayed away from any ingredients that are known to trigger allergic reactions. It’s free from gluten, soybean, oat, dairy products, and nuts (except for coconut).
The downside? It feels a bit greasy. It’s not that annoying, but the previous dry sprays are surely more convenient. Also, owing to the water-based formula, you may need to reapply it on a consistent basis. It’s better to check the instructions for precise recommendations.
- Free from allergens
- Natural ingredients that suit sensitive skin
- Applies as a greasy layer
Avon Skin-So-Soft Expedition Bug Guard – Most Versatile
Are you staying outside for the whole day? It must be annoying that you have to reapply both sunscreen and bug repellent. How about a 2-in-1 product?
This ingenious package from Avon protects your kids from flies with a potent, DEED-free formula that lasts for 8 hours. It also contains SPF 30 particles that protect against 97% of the harmful UVB rays.
Best of all, the unique Avon’s formula gives this double protection without being greasy. It washes off with minimal effort after your kids come home.
The only thing I hate about it is the inclusion of fragrances. One Amazon customer explained that this spray irritated his throat and lungs after the very first use. But to be fair, healthy individuals didn’t find its odor annoying at all.
- Works as an SPF 30 sunscreen
- Doesn’t leave a greasy layer
- A bit expensive
- Contains fragrances that may irritate weak lungs
Kid-Safe Fly Repellent: Buyer’s Guide
Not sure how to pick from the featured products? No worries! In this section, we’ll talk about the things you should bear in mind to make an educated purchase.
Pick a Suitable Active Ingredient
Brands use a bunch of different active ingredients to enhance performance, comfort, safety, etc. Here are the most common ingredients found in the best kid safe fly repellents.
DEET was one of the first bug repellents that showed up on the market since the ‘50s. Its unique chemical structure irritates the neurons of flies, forcing them to back off.
Although it was branded to be a harsh chemical for a long time, the CDC officially declared that it can be used for babies older than 2 months. However, it can have some negative long-term effects if used at 30% or higher concentration.
To be even safer, dermatologists suggest picking the concentration based on the needed protection period. 10% would be enough if you want no more than 2 hours. 30%, on the other hand, can cover up to 6 hours.
Back when DEET was still doubted, scientists synthesized picaridin from a substance found in pepper plants. Unlike its predecessor, picaridin has little to no odor. This makes it perfect for kids suffering from respiratory ailments.
Opting for a 20% spray guarantees up to 14 hours of protection against the annoying flies. The 10% don’t lie too far with up to 10 hours of efficacy. If you do the math, you should notice that picaridin is way more powerful when compared to DEET.
“Where’s the catch,” you might ask? Because it’s fairly new on the market, picaridin is still a bit vague considering its long-term effect. DEET, on the contrary, was approved to be 100% safe after years of putting it under the microscope.
Natural Bug Sprays
Recently, some brands have been building their repellents with natural, essential oils. Citronella, clove, peppermint, cedar, lemongrass, and soybean are among the most famous.
As you probably know, such repellents aren’t the best in terms of effectiveness and stability. You can safely use them while hanging out with your kids in the backyard. But for distant outings in unfamiliar places, it’s better to opt for a more dependable product.
Also, make sure the repellent you’ll buy doesn’t have any allergens that can irritate your kids. It’s not typical, but it’s still a possibility.
Some products, like Avon Skin so Soft Bottles – Avon Skin so Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition SPF 30 Pump Spray Skin-So-Soft, include UV-resistant particles together with the repellent formula. Despite being convenient, they’re not recommended for regular use.
Why? Well, since sunscreen needs to be applied often, these packs will inadvertently expose your kid to the risk of unhealthy levels of repellent chemicals.
General Tips for Better Bug-Free Experience
Read the following tips to guarantee the best effectiveness against those infernal flies.
- Keep your kids covered with light clothing to physically block bugs.
- Don’t apply DEET repellents with sunscreen since they may deactivate each other.
- Never use any repellent on babies younger than 2 months.
- Spray the repellent on your hands and rub it onto your kids. This will make sure no aerosols can enter your airways.
- Wash the repellent off the skin with soap and water once you return home to avoid prolonged contact.
- For babies, installing a mosquito net over the stroller would provide the ideal protection.
- MADE OF 100% POLYESTER MESH: Our mosquito net stroller cover baby bug net is made of high quality, NON-TOXIC, polyester that is both DURABLE and...
- UNIVERSAL FIT: Our bug net for stroller measures 40" x 30" wide and 63" in diameter when fully opened. You can rest assured that it will fit your...
- A BREEZE TO CLEAN: Our stroller mosquito nets baby essentials must haves are MACHINE WASHABLE, making them a breeze to clean. Just toss them in with...
Based on my elaborate research, I can say that OFF! makes the best kid safe fly repellents. With only 15% DEET, it won’t be unduly powerful on short outings.
Want something less bulky? You should like the Cutter All Family Mosquito Wipes. It’s also based on DEET, but with only 7.15%. I like how you can shove used towelettes back into the pack for later use.
If your kid’s sensitive skin is giving you a hard time, consider California Baby Bug Repellant. Its natural, plant-based formula will be delicate on the skin, yet powerful on the flies.
We recommend a safe and long-lasting solution with the Trappify glue traps. Check out our Indoor & Outdoor Fly Traps on Amazon – CLICK HERE
Wishing you the best and safest time with your family!