Relaxing on your porch with a glass of lemonade, only to look down and spot several gnats? That’s why we’ve created this ultimate guide on how to get rid of gnats for good.
- ZERO SUGAR: Sparkling Ice Classic Lemonade is a fruity, flavorful sparkling water made with zero sugar; Each bottled water contains only 5 calories...
- BETTER-FOR-YOU INGREDIENTS: Made with colors from natural sources, Sparkling Ice is made with better-for-you ingredients and bursting with real fruit...
- VITAMINS & ANTIOXIDANTS: Sparkling Ice’s variety of fizzy, fruity flavors contain vitamins and antioxidants, including Vitamin A and Vitamin D to...
Frustrated by the constant buzzing in your ear when you go out to your recycling bin or use your trash can?
Have you spotted gnats in your kitchen, on your fruits and vegetables, and anywhere else on your home?
We understand how frustrating it is to throw out food or deal with the itching from a gnat bite. Or even just feel like your home is unsanitary because of the presence of gnats.
We’ll cover health risks of gnats, why they’re attracted to your home, and how to sanitize after an invasion.
- 70% Ethyl Alcohol
- Green Seal Certified
- Clean and Fresh Hands, No Sticky Mess!
Then, we’ll fill you in on where you can get the best possible gnat traps for your space.
By the time you finish reading this post, gnats won’t stand a chance against you.
Health Risks of Gnats
Gnats may be small, but they can pose health risks — especially if you put off managing an infestation.
It’s important to understand that the term “gnat” doesn’t just apply to a singular species of bug.
Instead, it’s more of an umbrella term for small flies or other insects with wings. Some types of gnats eat only other insects, fruits, or plants. But others (like buffalo gnats, sand flies, or deer flies) bite humans and directly feed off of our blood.
Our blood provides female gnats with nutrients they need to lay eggs. They can lay up to 300 of them at one time, often making an infestation quite literally happen overnight.
While gnat bites usually don’t break the skin all the way, they’re often more painful than a mosquito bite.
This is because when they feed, they shoot out a chemical that makes it difficult for blood to clot quickly.
Hours after a gnat bite, you may deal with severe itching, swelling, and pain. Scratching can easily lead to scarring, the spread of bacteria, and even more severe health problems such as cellulitis.
Additionally, gnats are also known carriers of conjunctivitis, more commonly referred to as pinkeye. If you live on a farm, gnats can infect your livestock with diseases like the Blue Tongue virus and tularemia.
In other words?
Gnats aren’t quite as harmless as many of us would like to believe. You need to know how to get rid of gnats to protect your health, not just stop the buzzing.
What Attracts Gnats to Your Home?
Now, let’s talk about what actually attracts gnats to your home in the first place.
Gnats can easily smell food, soil, and even perfume from far away. The food itself doesn’t even have to emit a strong odor in order to attract gnats. Just having fruits and vegetables sitting out on your kitchen counter is enough to get a gnat’s attention.
- This product is a genuine product by its original manufacturer.
- Packaging for this product may vary from that shown in the image above.
- This item is not for sale in Catalina Island
They also feast on food or organic matter that’s in a state of decomposition or a moist, fermented state.
Leftover food in your disposal, garbage cans, and even your potted plants after are all popular spots for gnats. (This is especially true if you have a tendency to overwater your plants, or if you live in a particularly humid climate.)
They may even live in your bathroom because of the combination of moisture, mold/mildew, and the scents from shampoos and soaps. Sometimes, the strong scent of detergents and air-drying clothes in your laundry room can also attract gnats.
- One 12 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica So Smooth Gardenia Shampoo
- Lightweight shampoo gently cleanses and nourishes hair
- Made with a plant-based blend of botanical ingredients like gardenia, pineapple, papaya and aloe
- EXOTIC NATURAL SOAP: Naturally exotic soap from Bali! Crafted in a cold process method using plant-based ingredients and textured with botanicals from...
- EXFOLIATING BOTANICALS: Get smoother, softer skin! We use natural island botanicals to add texture to our face and body bar for an invigorating scrub....
- MOISTURIZING OILS: Ultra nourishing recipe! Our natural plant-based oils create a creamy, cleansing lather that softens and hydrates your body and...
- Liquid laundry detergent with brilliant cleaning performance that leaves behind a refreshing Gain Original scent. Smells great because it cleans...
- 6 weeks of freshness from wash until wear. Directions - Start water, add Gain, then add clothes.Keep out of reach of children.Surfaces Not...
- Smells great because it cleans great!
If you recycle wine bottles, soda cans, and canned fruits and vegetables in your garage, you can certainly expect to see a swarm of gnats flying above your recycling bin.
While there are some steps that you can take to prevent gnats from being drawn to your household, you can’t exactly stop using soap, no longer recycle, or stop watering your plants.
As such, the “prevention is the best cure” tactic doesn’t work as well in learning how to get rid of gnats as it often does with other kinds of insects.
Instead, it’s best to focus on stopping a smaller infestation of gnats before it gets out of control.
How to Get Rid of Gnats for Good
- Pest Control: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Perfect for protecting your best inside...
- Easy To Use: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- Organic Gardening: Safely remove small pests with no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are attracted to the yellow...
Now that you understand why it’s so important to understand how to get rid of gnats, let’s talk about the most effective methods.
Sure, you can try DIY gnat traps, but often because they require you to use vinegar or fruit juice, they quickly become counterproductive. The scent that these liquids give off can sometimes end up attracting even more gnats in the first place!
Make sure that the trap is sticky on both sides, and that they’re made from organic, chemical-free materials that won’t harm the people and animals in your home.
It’s also a good idea to place the traps directly inside your potted plants, alongside the flowers or leaves. The traps won’t harm the plants or impact their growth in any way, but they will stop gnats before they even have a chance to land on a leaf.
Look for traps that can be used both indoors and outdoors, are resistant to the sun, and of course, are free from pesticides that could harm your plants.
In addition to putting gnat traps in your potted plants, you can also line your outdoor flower beds or vegetable gardens with them.
Enjoying a nice summer glass of wine or cup of iced coffee out on your patio?
If you go with a non-toxic gnat trap, you can place them inside of an outdoor candle or table centerpiece to prevent the annoyance of getting a fly trapped inside of your wine glass.
Look for gnat traps that have a hole at the top of them that allows you to hang them from anywhere.
You can even place a suction cup on the side of your garbage can or recycling bin to catch gnats before they have a chance to breed in one of their favorite spots.
- SMALL SPACES IN MIND WITH SLEEK DESIGN – Rectangular, Open top 7 gallon recycling bins fit nicely under the desk, in the kitchen cabinet or in...
- EASY TO CLEAN – Durable utility containers wipe clean and air dry with ease for long-lasting use
- FOR EACH ROOM AT HOME – Ideal for the bathroom, bedroom, kitchen, and office space – multi-pack eliminates the need to buy multiple bag liner...
Cleaning up After a Gnat Infestation
- DISINFECTANT SPRAY KILLS 99.9% OF VIRUSES AND BACTERIA: Lysol Disinfectant Spray is tested and proven to kill 99.9% of viruses and bacteria, including...
- ANTIBACTERIAL BLEACH-FREE DISINFECTANT : this Lysol disinfecting product should work as hard as you do; this household disinfectant kills over 100...
- DISINFECTING SPRAY FOR GERMS: This disinfecting spray eliminates messes and 99.9% of germs and odor causing bacteria.
If you want to prevent another gnat infestation and ensure that all the eggs are gone from your home, you need to clean and disinfect your home after a gnat invasion.
Your kitchen countertops and other areas where you prepare and store your food will need particular attention.
We suggest that you remove all the food from your fridge, scrub its interiors and drawers with soap and water, and then use a mix of 1 part white vinegar, 1 part water, and a pinch of baking soda to ensure that everything is properly disinfected.
You don’t need to use toxic chemicals to get the job done.
Don’t forget your potting soil, too!
- FOR USE ON: Not just an indoor potting soil, this can also be used as a potting soil for outdoor plants and is a great soil mix for vegetables, herbs...
- CONTAINS: This organic soil for plants & vegetables is a rich blend of sphagnum peat moss, humus & perlite enriched with earthworm castings, alfalfa...
- MYCO-TONE: A proprietary blend of endo & ecto mycorrhizae.
Stop watering your plants as often as you were before, so that the soil can properly dry out.
You can also easily sanitize and clean your potted plant soil. Using a hand trowel, mix up the first 2 inches of your soil to give air circulation a boost. Always check potted plants for any debris like twigs and leaves, and remove them ASAP.
Additionally, clean your gardening tools after every use.
- IMPROVED GARDEN TOOLS SET -- The garden tool set includes 3 pieces useful hand tools: trowel, transplanter, hand rake. The set tool are strong and...
- DURABLE & STURDY -- Improved with top quality no rusting aluminum, which are shiny, rust-proof, long lasting, do not snap easily and extremely sturdy....
- COMFORTABLE HANDLE & CONVENIENT STORAGE -- The handle complies with engineering design provides rubberized grips, reduces the pressure on the wrist...
To sterilize potting soil, bake it for about a half an hour in your oven at 250 degrees Fahrenheit, let it cool, and replant.
Understand the Trappify Difference
- NO FLY ZONE: Get rid of those flying pests and make your home a no fly zone with traps from Trappify!
- EXTRA STRENGTH Our fly stick traps are constructed with recycled paper with an ultra-adherent, cylindrical trap. With a sleek design, flat bottom, and...
- HIGH QUALITY While our traps aren’t kind to insects, Trappify is a Veteran-owned company, we specialize in creating flying insect traps.
This post has taught you now only how to get rid of gnats, but also why it’s so important to do so. You also know what kinds of environments gnats are attracted to, as well as how you can disinfect your home after a gnat infestation.
The most essential thing of all when it comes to keeping bugs out of your indoor and outdoor spaces?
Choosing the best possible traps.
With over 10,000 happy customers and more than 600 four-star reviews on Amazon, we at Trappify feel confident that our non-toxic traps are the most effective on the market.
Make them a part of your pest control plan today.
In addition to giving our effective and affordable gnat traps a try, we also encourage you to sign up for Trappify’s newsletter.
This way, you’ll be among the first to know about new products, and you’ll get special discounts and promotions that allow you to save even more money.
Don’t let a gnat infestation ruin a nice evening or put your family’s health at risk.
Instead, rely on our powerful organic traps to eliminate gnats, fruit flies, aphids, and much more.
Let bugs know who that you’re the boss, and get ready to enjoy a bug-free life.