In this article, we’ll tell you how to get rid of gnats fast and easy!
Having an infestation of fungus gnat larvae any insect in your house is a nuisance. Let pesky insects alone if that insect is a serious gnat infestation that reproduces faster than light travels!
Gnats reproduce continuously and quickly. You can leave a couple of gnats for only a few drops of a few tablespoons for a week, only to return for only a few drops every couple of hundreds. In that case, you’ll need the fastest way to get rid of gnats so they don’t bother you anymore.
- 1 What Attract Gnats?
- 2 How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 7 Easy Ways
- 3 How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 2 Products to Try
- 4 Closing Thoughts – How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats Fast
What Attract Gnats?
Gnats are attracted to a variety of sources, including standing water, decaying organic matter, and sugary substances. Standing water is one of the main factors that attract gnats; any outdoor or indoor location with stagnant water can become a breeding ground for these insects.
Decaying organic matter such as compost piles, leaves, and grass clippings can also attract gnats. Other sugary substances, such as spilled soda or flowers with sweet nectar, can also be a source of nourishment for the insects.
To prevent gnat infestations, it is important to keep indoor and outdoor areas clean and free of any sources of attraction. Additionally, screens on windows and doors will help to deter gnats from entering your home or business. If you are dealing with a large infestation of gnats, it is best to consult with a professional pest control company or expert who can provide proper treatment and prevention recommendation.
How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 7 Easy Ways
Here’s a detailed overview of how to get rid of gnats fast in your house.
Clean Your Kitchen and Bathroom Pipes
You can clean the pipes by throwing boiling water down them daily. However, make sure first that the pipes aren’t clogged. After the boiling water, you can use any bio-based cleaner to ensure all the gnats will die.
- ✅ Contains 400 Billion Bacterial Enzymes Per Gallon! Enzymes target and actively target bio based messes in your car or home. Acts as a naturally...
- ✅ Helps Eliminate Stains & Odors from Extreme Bio-Based Messes! This cleaner is the ultimate companion for your family vehicle where “bio...
- ✅ Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Fully Biodegradable! This all purpose cleaner is powered by nature meaning no risk of toxicity and ready to use on the...
Use an Apple Cider Vinegar Trap and Dish Soap Trap
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best household tools you can use to get rid of gnats fast. Its distinctive smell will lure the gnats into their death, and it won’t leave a foul smell in your house, which is a bonus.
For the vinegar trap, you’re going to need a glass jar, a piece of plastic wrap, a rubber band, and a toothpick. Fill the bottom of one half cup or half a cup of jar with apple cider vinegar and add some dish soap for better efficiency. Then, cover the jar’s opening with the plastic wrap and secure it in place using the rubber band.
- ASSORTED DIMENSIONS MULTICOLOR RUBBER BANDS. A variety of different colors and sizes make these rubber bands great for house, office and school...
- BAND TOGETHER. These multi colored rubber bands offer a variety of sizes and shapes for all your binding needs. They are perfect for practical...
- REPUTATION + RELIABILITY. BAZIC Products has been offering uncompromised quality in school and office products since 1998. Dedicated to continuous...
For the last step, poke tiny holes all through the plastic wrap using the toothpick. The gnats will quickly fall into the holes, and you’ll get rid of all the lights with gnat larvae in them for good.
While this method is highly efficient, it’s only temporary. It doesn’t guarantee that the gnats won’t return, especially if they’ve already lain their eggs somewhere in your house.
Kill Gnats with Trappify Yellow Sticky Traps for Fruit Flies and Fungus Gnats
If your issue is mainly with fungus gnats, yellow sticky traps will get rid of them for good. This species gets attracted to bright colors, so it’ll probably fall into the trap instantly. The sticky traps lure the gnats in and catch them once they contact the adhesive surface.
- PEST CONTROL: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Protect your best inside plant from fungus...
- EASY TO USE: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- ORGANIC GARDENING: Safe way to remove small pests with no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are attracted to the...
Clean Your Indoor Plants
Indoor plants are a primary source of gnats in your house. The soil is the perfect habitat for the gnats to lay their eggs and reproduce. That means that your problem won’t end unless you go for a decisive solution, such as removing the soil.
By removing the soil potted plants, you guarantee that the gnats lay eggs that won’t hatch, which prevents any future infestation of gnats potting soil. If you also use a diy gnat trap of the ones mentioned above, you’ll solve all your issues at once.
After replacing the soil, make sure you don’t overwater the plants. This can be the reason there are gnats in your house since they’re typically attracted to damp areas. Not to mention that wet areas also serve as a viable environment for bacteria to grow, so it’s a win-win situation.
- Arabica Coffee Plant Pot: Arabica Coffee, a beautiful house plant, features glamorous, glossy, elliptic, dark green leaves with prominent veins and...
- Indoor Plants: The flowers of Arabica Coffee plants smell akin to Jasmine. After the plants flower, they produce shiny, deep red, plum-like cherries,...
- Easy Maintenance: Arabica Coffee plants are easy to care for; they prefer bright, indirect light, with the ideal temperature being 64–70° F. A heat...
Clean the Pantry
Gnats love pantries, and it’s easy to see why. It’s a closed space that’s full of food! It’s no wonder that they’ll get attracted inside, and they may also breed their eggs there. To empty your pantry and get rid of gnats of the tiny intruders, you can use a homemade trap.
Just grab any overripe fruit, rotten fruit, or banana, mash it, and put it in a jar. Them, cover the opening with plastic wrap, secure it using rubber bands, and poke a few small holes through it. The gnats will fall through the holes, and you’ll get rid of them forever. Afterward, you can clean your pantry thoroughly to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Gnats usually source from either rotten fruits and stored food.
Take the Trash Cans Out Regularly
If the gnat infestation in your house is fruit flies, the empty trash can or garbage disposal is probably a huge contributor to the gnat problem. These tiny disgusting creatures appear around any decaying matter, whether it’s rotting fruits or, veggies, garbage cans or any other food. They also love humid conditions, so a bag of trash is their heaven.
To get rid of the gnats in the open trash can in your kitchen, make sure to throw the trash and garbage cans away frequently.
Clean Your Sink Drains
Drain flies and phorid flies mostly live inside drains, and they reproduce inside as well. To get rid of the many other adult flies, drain flies, and gnats and their eggs, you should clean your sink drains thoroughly. That way, any existing ones will die, and the eggs won’t have the chance to hatch.
You have two options to clean the sink drains: ammonia and a diluted bleach solution. Either one of them will do a great job at eliminating any existing gnats fruit flies. However, there are a couple of things you’ll want to take care of since both of them have toxic capabilities.
Firstly, it’s recommended to use mouth and eye covers when dealing with them, especially ammonia. Secondly, if you have any pets or kids around, don’t let them get near the kitchen at the moment, and for a few hours.
It would help if you also took care not to close the doors while working with warm water, and keep the room ventilated well. Lastly, wait for a few hours before using the sink again. Then, the bleach or ammonia will have diluted, and the sink will be easy to use.
No products found.
How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 2 Products to Try
Here, we’ll show you two more professional pest control products you can get to help you with professional pest control for the gnat infestation. They’ll act faster than household solutions, and they’re all easy to use.
FENUN Mosquito and Gnat Zapper Trap
- Easy to Operate: Only need to press catching button, the mosquito trap will start working. Produces very low noise you barely even notice it.
- Smart Band Change Mode: Press catching button add light button enter smart band change mode , total of 7 wavelengths
- Due to human are more attracted to the mosquitoes than the mosquito trap is, so it simulate human body temperature to emit heat to further enhance the...
Although zapper traps cost more than the other solutions, they’re highly efficient and safe. This noise-free device from Fenun will catch any small flying insects that gnat around, and you’ll find your kitchen empty of intruders in no time.
The device attracts the gnats by heat; they’ll think they’re going toward a human body. Then, before they know it, they’ll be lying dead on the device’s bottom. The Fenun is odorless, chemical-free, and radiation-free, so it’s safe to use around kids. But bear in mind that it’s not suitable for outdoor use.
Trappify Hanging Stick Gnat Trap
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap mosquitoes, gnats, flies, horse fly, housefly, nat, lantern fly, knat, and many other irritating flying insect with this...
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Hanging hook lets you place the trap anywhere near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, and catch all pests. Try...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, garage, patios, gardens, stable, lawn, chicken coop, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects to keep them...
This fruit fly trap is your go-to option if you’ve been facing a fruit fly paper gnat infestation. The apple-shaped trap will trick the few gnats flying into the rotten, rotting fruit that flies in, thinking they’re going in for a treat, only to find themselves floating on pesticide!
The trap is easy to easy and odorless, which is a bonus. However, it’s recommended to keep it out of reach of children because it the red wine may look appealing to their young eyes.
Closing Thoughts – How to Get Rid of Fungus Gnats Fast
Although gnats are annoying and come in large numbers, they’re relatively easy to get rid of. They’re the easiest insects to get rid of because they get attracted to a lot of things. On top of that, they’re not the brightest star out there. You can trick them using a plastic apple or fruit in half a cup or fruit bowl, which tells you a lot about their intelligence level!
As long as you have your apple cider vinegar, sticky traps, or bug zapper trap, you shouldn’t worry about being rid of gnats. Cleaning frequently will also get rid of gnats and give you peace of mind and ensure they won’t return.
To check out a complete selection of all of our pest control products, CLICK HERE!