In this article, we’ll tell you how to get rid of gnats fast and easy!
Having an infestation of any insect in your house is a nuisance. Let alone if that insect is a gnat that reproduces faster than light travels!
Gnats reproduce continuously and quickly. You can leave a couple of gnats for a week, only to return for a couple of hundreds. In that case, you’ll need the fastest way to get rid of gnats so they don’t bother you anymore.
- 1 How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 7 Easy Ways
- 2 How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 2 Products to Try
- 3 Closing Thoughts – How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast
How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 7 Easy Ways
Here’s a detailed overview of how to get rid of gnats fast in your house.
Clean Your Kitchen and Bathroom Pipes
Your kitchen and bathroom pipes are among the primary sources for drain gnats and fungus gnats. Cleaning them periodically will eliminate any existing gnats and prevent new ones from coming in.
You can clean the pipes by throwing boiling water down them daily. However, make sure first that the pipes aren’t clogged. After the boiling water, you can use any bio-based cleaner to ensure all the gnats will die.
- ✅ Contains 400 Billion Bacterial Enzymes Per Gallon! Enzymes target and actively target bio based messes in your car or home. Acts as a naturally...
- ✅ Helps Eliminate Stains & Odors from Extreme Bio-Based Messes! This cleaner is the ultimate companion for your family vehicle where “bio...
- ✅ Water-Based, Non-Toxic, Fully Biodegradable! This all purpose cleaner is powered by nature meaning no risk of toxicity and ready to use on the...
Use an Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
Apple cider vinegar is one of the best household tools you can use to get rid of gnats fast. Its distinctive smell will lure the gnats into their death, and it won’t leave a foul smell in your house, which is a bonus.
For the trap, you’re going to need a glass jar, a piece of plastic wrap, a rubber band, and a toothpick. Fill the jar with apple cider vinegar and add some dish soap for better efficiency. Then, cover the jar’s opening with the plastic wrap and secure it in place using the rubber band.
- FOOD PLASTIC WRAPS: Glad's Variety Pack has you covered with one each 150 sqft Freeze ‘N Seal, 70 sqft Press ‘N Seal & 200 sqft Cling ‘N Seal...
- PRESS ‘N SEAL PLASTIC FOOD WRAP: With a quick press & glide, Glad Press ‘N Seal food wrap keeps food fresh with a leak proof, air tight seal...
- GLAD CLING ‘N SEAL PLASTIC FOOD WRAP: Extend foods' freshness with Cling ‘N Seal plastic food wrap which grips tightly while keeping air out with...
- ASSORTED DIMENSIONS MULTICOLOR RUBBER BANDS. A variety of different colors and sizes make these rubber bands great for house, office and school...
- BAND TOGETHER. These multi colored rubber bands offer a variety of sizes and shapes for all your binding needs. They are perfect for practical...
- REPUTATION + RELIABILITY. BAZIC Products has been offering uncompromised quality in school and office products since 1998. Dedicated to continuous...
For the last step, poke holes through the plastic wrap using the toothpick. The gnats will quickly fall into the holes, and you’ll get rid of them for good.
While this method is highly efficient, it’s only temporary. It doesn’t guarantee that the gnats won’t return, especially if they’ve already lain their eggs somewhere in your house.
- BRAGG APPLE CIDER VINEGAR: The Bragg ACV Vinegar is made from organically grown apples, and offers various health benefits. To easily incorporate ACV...
- ORGANIC INGREDIENTS: The Bragg ACV is raw, unfiltered, and crafted from organically grown apples. It is USDA certified organic, Non-GMO Verified, and...
- MOTHER OF VINEGAR: The ‘Mother’ consists of strands of proteins, enzymes, and friendly bacteria that give the product its murky appearance. The...
Trappify Yellow Sticky Traps
If your issue is mainly with fungus gnats, yellow sticky traps will get rid of them for good. This species gets attracted to bright colors, so it’ll probably fall into the trap instantly. The sticky traps lure the gnats in and catch them once they contact the adhesive surface.
- Pest Control: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Perfect for protecting your best inside...
- Easy To Use: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- Organic Gardening: Safely remove small pests with no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are attracted to the yellow...
Clean Your Indoor Plants
Indoor plants are a primary source of gnats in your house. The soil is the perfect habitat for the gnats to lay their eggs and reproduce. That means that your problem won’t end unless you go for a decisive solution, such as removing the soil.
By removing the soil, you guarantee that the eggs won’t hatch, which prevents any future infestation of gnats. If you also use a trap of the ones mentioned above, you’ll solve all your issues at once.
After replacing the soil, make sure you don’t overwater the plants. This can be the reason there are gnats in your house since they’re typically attracted to damp areas. Not to mention that wet areas also serve as a viable environment for bacteria to grow, so it’s a win-win situation.
- Arabica is one the finest quality coffee bean producing houseplants; it produces beautiful glossy green leaves, fragrant white flowers, and red coffee...
- This easy care plant thrives in bright indirect sunlight on sink and bathroom window sills, countertops, desks, and tables in your home or office
- Coffee plants prefer bright indirect light, humidity, and warm temperatures; their glossy color and texture complement other plants in any decor
Clean the Pantry
Gnats love pantries, and it’s easy to see why. It’s a closed space that’s full of food! It’s no wonder that they’ll get attracted inside, and they may also breed their eggs there. To empty your pantry of the tiny intruders, you can use a homemade trap.
Just grab any overripe banana, mash it, and put it in a jar. Them, cover the opening with plastic wrap, secure it using rubber bands, and poke holes through it. The gnats will fall through the holes, and you’ll get rid of them forever. Afterward, you can clean your pantry thoroughly to ensure it doesn’t happen again. Gnats usually source from rotten stored food.
Take the Trash Out Regularly
If the gnat infestation in your house is fruit flies, the trash is probably a huge contributor to the problem. These tiny disgusting creatures appear around any decaying matter, whether it’s fruits, veggies, or any other food. They also love humid conditions, so a bag of trash is their heaven.
To get rid of the gnats in your kitchen, make sure to throw the trash away frequently.
Clean Your Sink Drains
Drain flies and phorid flies mostly live inside drains, and they reproduce inside as well. To get rid of the adult gnats and their eggs, you should clean your sink drains thoroughly. That way, any existing ones will die, and the eggs won’t have the chance to hatch.
You have two options to clean the sink drains: ammonia and bleach. Either one of them will do a great job at eliminating any existing gnats. However, there are a couple of things you’ll want to take care of since both of them have toxic capabilities.
Firstly, it’s recommended to use mouth and eye covers when dealing with them, especially ammonia. Secondly, if you have any pets or kids around, don’t let them get near the kitchen at the moment, and for a few hours.
It would help if you also took care not to close the doors while working and keep the room ventilated well. Lastly, wait for a few hours before using the sink again. Then, the bleach or ammonia will have diluted, and the sink will be easy to use.
- For use in HE and standard washing machines.
- Excellent antibacterial, germicidal and fungicidal properties.
- A registered disinfectant that kills up to 99.9% of household germs and bacteria.
- For laundry and general household chores
- Great for cleaning kitchens, sinks, garbage disposals, and trash cans
- Use full strength, wait a few minutes, and rinse with clear water
How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast – 2 Products to Try
Here, we’ll show you two products you can get to help you with the gnat infestation. They’ll act faster than household solutions, and they’re all easy to use.
FENUN Mosquito and Gnat Zapper Trap
- Easy to Operate: Only need to press catching button, the mosquito trap will start working. Produces very low noise you barely even notice it.
- Smart Band Change Mode: Press catching button add light button enter smart band change mode , total of 7 wavelengths
- Due to human are more attracted to the mosquitoes than the mosquito trap is, so it simulate human body temperature to emit heat to further enhance the...
Although zapper traps cost more than the other solutions, they’re highly efficient and safe. This noise-free device from Fenun will catch any flying gnat around, and you’ll find your kitchen empty of intruders in no time.
The device attracts the gnats by heat; they’ll think they’re going toward a human body. Then, before they know it, they’ll be lying dead on the device’s bottom. The Fenun is odorless, chemical-free, and radiation-free, so it’s safe to use around kids. But bear in mind that it’s not suitable for outdoor use.
Trappify Hanging Stick Gnat Trap
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap and kill mosquitoes, gnats, flies, nat, knat, and many other irritating flying insects
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Place near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, catch, and kill pests. Try against generic market strip, stick tape...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, patios, gardens, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects
This fruit fly trap is your go-to option if you’ve been facing a fruit gnat infestation. The apple-shaped trap will trick the gnats into thinking they’re going in for a treat, only to find themselves floating on pesticide!
The trap is easy to easy and odorless, which is a bonus. However, it’s recommended to keep it out of reach of children because it may look appealing to their young eyes.
Closing Thoughts – How to Get Rid of Gnats Fast
Although gnats are annoying and come in large numbers, they’re relatively easy to get rid of. They’re the easiest insects to get rid of because they get attracted to a lot of things. On top of that, they’re not the brightest star out there. You can trick them using a plastic apple, which tells you a lot about their intelligence level!
As long as you have your apple cider vinegar, sticky traps, or zapper trap, you shouldn’t worry about gnats. Cleaning frequently will also give you peace of mind and ensure they won’t return.
To check out a complete selection of all of our pest control products, CLICK HERE!