Summertime is the time for cookouts and outdoor fun, but it’s also the time for flies. Flies can be a real nuisance, but there are ways to get rid of them naturally. Keep reading to learn how to get rid of flies using herbs, essential oils, and other natural methods.
Flies are one of the most common pests in the world. They’re attracted to food, garbage, and feces, which makes them a major nuisance in the summertime. Not only are they annoying, but they can also transmit diseases like typhoid fever, cholera, and dysentery.
- 1 Types of Flies That Plague Homes
- 2 What Can Attract Flies To Come Into Your Home?
- 3 Why You Should Get Rid Of Flies
- 4 Natural Remedies To Ward Off House Flies
- 5 Commercial Pest Control VS Natural Pest Repellants: Which Is More Effective?
- 6 Can Fly Traps Help Get Rid Of Nuisance Flies?
- 7 What You Should Do In Cases Of Fly Infestation
Types of Flies That Plague Homes
- Fruit Flies: As their name suggests, fruit flies are attracted to ripe fruit and vegetables. They’re also drawn to fermenting liquids like beer, wine, and soda.
- Drain Flies: Drain flies breed in stagnant water, which is why they’re commonly found near sink drains, toilets, and sewer systems.
- House Flies: A house fly is the most common type of fly found in homes. They’re attracted to food, garbage, and pet feces.
What Can Attract Flies To Come Into Your Home?
Most people don’t really know what causes flies to linger inside their homes. But one thing is for sure, if you have flies inside your home, there is a food source that is attracting them.
- NO FLY ZONE: Trap and kill fruit, ranch, and house flies, along with many other pesky flying insects
- HIGH QUALITY: Made from recycled paper and utilizes sticky glue that lasts up to 90 days
- ORGANIC GARDENING: Naturally remove small pests with no harsh ingredients
- Ripened Fruits and Vegetables: Flies are attracted to the sugars in ripened fruits and vegetables. If you have a bowl of fruit on your counter, flies will likely be attracted to it.
- Garbage: Flies are attracted to the smell of garbage and will often breed in garbage cans.
- Feces: Flies are attracted to the smell of feces and will often breed in pet feces.
- Fermenting Liquids: Flies are attracted to the smell of fermenting liquids, such as beer, wine, and soda.
Why You Should Get Rid Of Flies
Flies can be more than just a nuisance. They are dirty insects that may have landed on rotting food or feces before landing on your countertop. This can cause them to transmit diseases like typhoid fever, cholera, and dysentery.
Flies can also contaminate food. If a fly lands on your food, it can transfer bacteria from its feet to your food. This is why it’s so important to get rid of flies in your home.
The World Health Organization has listed flies as one of the top 10 carriers of disease. Aside from being a flying health hazard, it’s also not a pleasant experience to have a fly buzzing around your head while you’re trying to enjoy a meal or conversation.
Natural Remedies To Ward Off House Flies
If you don’t like being exposed to harsh chemicals, there are several natural remedies you can use to keep flies away.
Natural remedies are safer because they don’t contain any harmful chemicals. And, they’re often more effective than chemical pesticides. They are also easier to obtain because some of the ingredients are already in your kitchen.
Herbs like basil, lavender, mint, and lemongrass are known to repel flies. You can plant these herbs around your home or use them to make a fly repellent spray. It is advisable to place these near the window panes and doors of your home.
Essential oils like eucalyptus oil, lemon oil, and peppermint oil are known to repel flies. You can make a fly repellent spray by mixing a few drops of these oils with water. You can also make use of humidifiers and diffusers to spread these oils around your home.
Apple cider vinegar is a natural fly repellent. You can make a fly trap by adding vinegar to a jar and covering it with plastic wrap. Poke a few holes in the wrap and wait for the flies to be attracted to the vinegar.
Banana peel is a natural fly repellent. You can place banana peels around your home or make a fly repellent spray by mixing banana peels and water.
Flypaper is a sticky paper that traps flies. You can purchase flypaper at your local hardware store. In some cases, they come in the form of thin wooden panels with adhesive surfaces.
- Controls all flying insects: Traps houseflies, mosquitoes and other flying insects
- Sticky fly paper: Once insects land, they never leave
- Use indoors and outdoors: for long-lasting protection, use anywhere flying insects are a nuisance
There are many different types of traps you can use to catch flies. The most common type is the flytrap, which uses bait to attract and capture flies.
Commercial Pest Control VS Natural Pest Repellants: Which Is More Effective?
There are many different ways to get rid of flies. But, which method is the most effective?
Commercial Pest Control
Commercial pest control products contain chemicals that can be harmful to your health. They are also not always effective, and they can be expensive.
Natural Pest Repellents
Natural pest repellents are usually more effective than commercial pest control products. They are also safer for your health and easy to make. However, it is important to note that not all natural pest repellents are created equal. Some may work better than others.
If you’re looking for the most effective way to get rid of flies, we recommend using a combination of traps and natural repellents. This will give you the best chance, if you plant to combat flies that are infesting your home.
Can Fly Traps Help Get Rid Of Nuisance Flies?
Flytraps are an effective way to get rid of flies. They work by attracting flies with bait and then trapping them. There are many different types of fly traps, but the most common type is the sticky flytrap.
Sticky flytraps use a sticky substance to trap flies. The flies are attracted to the bait and then get stuck in the sticky substance. Once they’re stuck, they can’t escape and eventually die.
Flytraps are a great way to deter flies, but they’re not always 100% effective. This is because some flies are smart enough to avoid the trap.
What You Should Do In Cases Of Fly Infestation
If you have a fly problem, it’s important to take action immediately. The longer you wait, the more time the adult flies have to lay their eggs and multiply. Here are some things you can do to get rid of a fly infestation:
- Identify the source of the infestation and remove it if possible.
- Use traps and natural repellents to get rid of the flies.
- You can also install window screens in case you want to open your windows for fresh air.
- Clean your home regularly to discourage flies from returning. Make sure to empty and clean your trash cans and rid them of any food debris.
- Call a professional exterminator for fly control if the infestation is severe.
If you have a fly problem, don’t wait to take action. If you’re wondering about how to get rid of flies, follow the tips above. A home without flies is a happy and healthy home.