Summertime is a great time of year, but it can also be a frustrating time of year. Especially if you suffer from mosquito bites. Tired of constant mosquito bites? It’s time to try some homemade mosquito repellent recipes.
These recipes actually work, and best of all, they’re inexpensive and easy to make!
- 1 What Are Mosquito Repellents?
- 2 How Do They Work?
- 3 What Do They Contain?
- 4 Homemade VS Store-Bought Mosquito Repellents
- 5 Benefits Of Using Homemade Mosquito Repellent
- 6 Natural Ingredients For Mosquito Repellents
- 7 Essential Oils You Can Use To Avoid Mosquito Bites
- 8 Top 3 Most Effective Mosquito Repellent Recipes
- 9 Should I Make My Own Homemade Mosquito Repellent?
What Are Mosquito Repellents?
Mosquito repellents are products that are designed to help reduce the effects of mosquito bites. There are a variety of different types of repellents available, ranging from commercial products like sprays and lotions to homemade mosquito repellent spray such as citronella oils or plants that naturally repel mosquitos.
Using a commercial or DIY mosquito repellent is an effective way to protect yourself against insect bites. It helps you stay healthy and comfortable even during times when mosquito populations are high.
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap mosquitoes, gnats, flies, horse fly, housefly, nat, lantern fly, knat, and many other irritating flying insect with this...
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Hanging hook lets you place the trap anywhere near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, and catch all pests. Try...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, garage, patios, gardens, stable, lawn, chicken coop, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects to keep them...
How Do They Work?
Mosquito repellents are a very effective way to protect yourself from those pesky, disease-carrying insects. But how do these repellents actually work?
At the most basic level, most mosquito repellents contain chemical compounds that interfere with the mosquito’s ability to detect people. These compounds are typically designed to mimic naturally occurring chemicals that we humans produce and release through our skin, which mosquitoes use as a signal.
What Do They Contain?
By overpowering this natural signal with artificial chemicals, the mosquito is fooled into thinking that there is no one nearby to bite. Additionally, many mosquito repellents also contain DEET, a powerful chemical that irritates the mosquito’s sensory receptors and prevents it from landing on your skin.
Overall, this combination of chemicals helps to keep mosquitoes at bay and prevent them from biting you or spreading deadly diseases like malaria, Zika virus, and West Nile virus.
Homemade VS Store-Bought Mosquito Repellents
When it comes to mosquito repellents, there are a variety of options to choose from. Many people prefer to use traditional store-bought products like sprays and lotions, which can provide quick and effective results.
However, other people opt for a more natural homemade mosquito repellent, made from essential oils or herbal extracts. These remedies are typically less harsh on the skin, less toxic to the environment, and much cheaper than their commercial counterparts.
Ultimately, the choice between store-bought or natural mosquito repellents is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer convenience and effectiveness over natural ingredients, while others value the earth-friendly homemade mosquito repellent options.
Whether you opt for homemade or store-bought mosquito repellents, however, it’s important to take precautions against bites in order to stay safe and healthy throughout the summer months.
Benefits Of Using Homemade Mosquito Repellent
Mosquitoes are more than just a nuisance; they can also carry diseases. In fact, mosquitoes cause more human deaths than any other creature on the planet. Thankfully, there are a number of ways to repel these dangerous pests, including using homemade mosquito repellent.
Here are some of the benefits a homemade mosquito repellent can offer:
A homemade mosquito repellent is usually made with natural ingredients like lemon juice, garlic, or essential oils. This makes them safer to use than commercial repellents, which often contain harmful chemicals like DEET.
In addition, homemade repellents are often just as effective as their chemical counterparts. For example, Citronella oil is a popular natural mosquito repellent that has been proven to be just as effective as DEET at preventing mosquito bites.
Less Harsh On The Skin
Many commercial mosquito repellents contain harsh chemicals that can be irritating to the skin. This is especially true of products that contain DEET, which is known to cause redness, swelling, and itchiness in some people.
In contrast, homemade mosquito repellents are usually much gentler on the skin. This is because they’re made with natural ingredients that are less likely to cause irritation.
Cheaper Than Store-Bought Repellents
Commercial mosquito repellents can be quite expensive, especially if you have to use them regularly. In contrast, homemade mosquito repellents are much cheaper to make.
For example, a bottle of lemon juice mosquito repellent costs less than $5 to make, whereas a comparable store-bought product can cost upwards of $15.
In addition, many of the ingredients needed to make homemade repellents are likely already in your kitchen, which means you don’t have to spend any money on purchasing extra ingredients.
So, if you’re looking for a safe and effective way to keep mosquitoes at bay, consider making your own homemade repellent. Not only will you be keeping yourself safe from disease, but you’ll also be helping to protect the environment from harmful chemicals.
Natural Ingredients For Mosquito Repellents
There are many different ingredients that can be used to create effective mosquito repellents. One of the most popular options is essential oils, which help to deter these annoying insects by masking the scents that they draw in.
Some common essential oils to consider adding to your repellent include lemon eucalyptus essential oil and lavender oil, both of which have been shown to be highly effective in warding off mosquitoes. Additionally, you may find that combining a few different types of essential oils provides the best results, as different scents may appeal more to certain kinds of mosquitoes.
Another natural ingredient commonly used in mosquito repellents is vanilla extract. This substance not only has a pleasant smell, but it also contains compounds called terpenes that are thought to repel mosquitoes due to their strong scent.
Other Plants Extracts
Other naturally derived compounds that show some repelling properties include neem oil, thyme oil, and garlic extract. In the end, you’ll have an effective product that’s free from harsh chemicals and unwanted side effects!
Essential Oils You Can Use To Avoid Mosquito Bites
Essential oils are known to promote health and well-being. There are a wide variety of oils available, each with its own unique properties. Here are some of the essential oils you can use for homemade mosquito repellents:
Tea Tree Oil
- 100% Pure and Natural: Majestic Pure Essential Oils are 100% pure and natural, therapeutic grade oils. This means they are free from toxins,...
- Physical & Mental Clarity: In order to add some balance into your life and help gain some mental clarity, a few drops of this Tea tree oil will help...
- Go-to Pick for Aromatherapy : Majestic Pure Tea Tree Essential Oil has a very pleasant floral, medicinal and warm smell and Tea Tree is known for its...
Tea tree oil comes from the leaves of the tea tree, which is native to Australia. The oil showcases a wide range of benefits which Aboriginal people of Australia use for treatments for centuries. You can also use it as an ingredient for mosquito repellents.
- QUALITY - VINEVIDA Essential Oil is Professional Therapeutic Grade Citronella Essential Oil. This is a 100% Pure Citronella Oil Extract and is...
- BULK ESSENTIAL OILS - Buy Essential Oil in Bulk and Save BIG! This Bulk Citronella Oil 16 Oz (1 Lb) is Free of Harsh Chemicals Including Parabens,...
- MULTIUSE - Our Citronella is Perfect for Essential Oil Diffuser Aromatherapy, DIY Soaps, Candles, Bath Bombs, Shampoos, Lotions, and More!
A popular natural remedy we’ve utilized for hundreds of years to treat a variety of different medical conditions. We know citronella oil for its strong, lemony scent and potent antimicrobial and antifungal properties.
Because it works as a powerful mosquito deterrent, many people like to keep bottles on hand during the summer months when mosquito populations tend to be at their peak.
Whether you are battling an annoying bug infestation or simply want to add some bright, summery aromas around your house, citronella oil is a versatile and effective tool to have in your arsenal.
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil
- Refreshing & Versatile Essential Oil: Lemon Eucalyptus is an ideal diffuser oil because of its light, sweet, citronella-type aroma. Thanks to its...
- 100% USDA Certified Organic: Originating from Madagascar and steam distilled from the leaves of the Corymbia Citriodora tree, this healing oil is 100%...
- Batch Specific GC-MS Report: Every bottle of oil from Plant Therapy goes through multiple rounds of testing including organoleptic testing and...
Lemon Eucalyptus Oil is an essential oil that come from the lemon eucalyptus tree. The oil has a wide range of uses, including as a natural insect repellent, in aromatherapy, and in cleaning products.
You can use it as a potent insecticide to repel mosquitoes, ticks, and other pests. The oil also has antibacterial and antifungal properties, making it an effective cleaning agent. In addition, lemon eucalyptus oil has a fresh, citrusy scent that can boost your mood and energy levels.
Whether you’re looking for an all-natural way to keep insects at bay or simply want to enjoy the refreshing scent of lemon eucalyptus oil, this versatile oil is worth trying out.
- Ethically Sourced & Cruelty-free: Majestic Pure products are made or packaged in the USA, cruelty-free, and not tested on animals.
- Calm Your Mind: Enjoy the rawness in the scent of this lavender oil that helps you activate each of your senses and gives you a relaxing feeling. Take...
- Versatile Uses: Lemon Oil is often used in skincare, hair care, and household DIY recipes.
Lavender oil goes back several centuries, used as a soothing and relaxing skincare treatment. Its pleasant floral aroma is calming to the nervous system, reducing feelings of anxiety and stress. It’s also a great insect repellent.
Overall, then, lavender oil is a wonderfully versatile natural remedy with a range of practical uses both in the home and in the doctor’s office. Whether you’re looking for a fragrant mood enhancer or an effective natural treatment option, lavender oil is the perfect choice!
- 100% PURE AND NATURAL PEPPERMINT OIL – Brooklyn Botany essential oils are all natural with no additives or dilution. Therefore they can provide...
- THERAPEUTIC GRADE ESSENTIAL OIL – All of our essential oils are Premium Quality and are tested by an independent lab to test the potency and...
- PREMIUM GLASS BOTTLE WITH DROPPER FOR ESSENTIAL OILS – Our Essential Oil is bottled in an amber glass bottle to protect the oil against UV rays. A...
Peppermint oil offers a lot of medicinal benefits. From soothing an upset stomach to repelling mosquitoes, peppermint oil is a versatile and highly effective natural remedy. So whether you’re looking for a natural remedy or simply need some help around the house, peppermint oil has you covered!
Top 3 Most Effective Mosquito Repellent Recipes
To avoid bites during a camping trip, there are many effective ways to repel these pesky insects. We understand that you want to enjoy your summer evening without the constant annoyance of mosquitoes. Here are some of the most effective mosquito repellent recipes you can try out:
A natural plant extract known for its ability in repelling mosquitoes and other insects.
Mix equal parts witch hazel and water in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of eucalyptus or lavender essential oil and shake well. Spray on exposed skin as needed.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Combine 1 part witch hazel with 2 parts apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle. Add a few drops of lemon or lime essential oil and shake well. Spray on exposed skin as needed.
Lemongrass Oil and Rosemary Oil
One option is to mix equal parts of each oil with a carrier oil like sunflower, almond, or coconut oil. You can apply this directly to your skin (make sure to test a small patch on your forearm first in case you’re sensitive to any of the ingredients).
Another option is to fill a spray bottle with water or vodka and add about 10 drops of each essential oil. You can spray this solution around the room for an all-natural mosquito repellent.
Should I Make My Own Homemade Mosquito Repellent?
Overall, these are just a few of the most effective recipes that you can use to protect yourself. So next time you need some relief from those annoying insect bites, try one of these simple and effective solutions. Your skin (and sanity) will thank you!