Seeing all kinds of adult flies in your home can be annoying for any home owner. This is especially true if there’s a huge surge of those green bottle flies. House flies are the most pests to see in your house. Infestation usually becomes worse around the warmer months.
You’ll see a lot of common pests near tight fitting lids, decaying matter, organic matter, decaying tissue, wall voids, tightly screened windows, secluded places, or anywhere there is food in your house. Additionally, this is why it is very important to eliminate any breeding sites/breeding source around your house.
This May Include Areas Like:
- Garbage cans
- Sewer pipes
- Meat processing plants
- Animal carcasses/ dead animal carcass
- Animal Feces
- Crawl spaces
- Wet garbage
- Dog feces
- Forgotten mouse trap
Believe it or not, flies reproduce fly maggots so fast that it’s life cycle only lasts less than a week. As mentioned, if you have any of the above laying around your home. Your fly problem could get worse.
Additionally, flies can even feast on a dead mouse, dead bird, or any dead animal like a squirrel. Some of these animals can get caught in pest control traps or by eating mouse poison and fly baits.
Always make sure to clean any entry points of dead tissue, dead animals, vegetable scraps. It’s very important to clean the immediate area so as not to become a breeding source for eggs, larvae, or other pests.
Check Out This Article For More Tips
If you have been trying to figure out the breeding source of your bottle fly infestation, but don’t know where to look then you have come to the right place. In this article, we will be teaching you everything you need to know about filth feeders, house flies, blow flies, and the green bottle adult flies.
We will also be teaching you some tips on how to prevent green bottle flies from trying to lay eggs in your home. We will also mention some prevention methods for a large number of fly species and how to get rid of them.
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap mosquitoes, gnats, flies, horse fly, housefly, nat, lantern fly, knat, and many other irritating flying insect with this...
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Hanging hook lets you place the trap anywhere near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, and catch all pests. Try...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, garage, patios, gardens, stable, lawn, chicken coop, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects to keep them...
- 1 What Are Green Bottle Flies?
- 2 How Do You Identify Green Blow Flies in Your Home?
- 3 What Attracts Green Bottle Flies to your Home?
- 4 Are Green Bottle Flies Dangerous?
- 5 How to Get Rid of Green Bottle Flies Naturally
- 6 How to Get Rid of Green Bottle Flies Using Insecticides
- 7 How To Prevent Green Bottle Fly Infestation
What Are Green Bottle Flies?
Green Bottle Flies, commonly referred to as “bottle flies” are more than just pesky bugs—they’re a species of blow fly known scientifically as Lucilia sericata.
You’ll only find this type of fly in warm climates and if you do run into one, don’t worry since they won’t bite; mostly they lounge around inside your trash or windowsills.
The life cycle of a green bottle fly is quite interesting. Blow flies and bottle flies, including the familiar green bottle fly, are among the most common types of flies found in homes, businesses and garages.
These vivacious bugs begin their lives by trying to lay eggs in food sources like decaying vegetables, meat, and spilled garbage. The larvae then hatch from these eggs and turn into maggots. Additionally, The larvae feed off these organic garbage for 8-24 days depending on the temperature before becoming adults and repeating the cycle anew.
Green bottle flies have a very short life span but it’s an action-packed one full of delicious meals and intruding into our homes every now and again.
This is why it’s important to control the garbage content at all times around your house. The garbage cans must always be taken out right away especially if there is any meat, rotting food like eggs, dog feces or any animal feces inside it. This species of fly can feed on it and get out of control quickly.
How Do You Identify Green Blow Flies in Your Home?
Identifying green bottle flies or blow flies in your home can sometimes feel like an impossible feat. However, there are two things that make puzzling out whether or not you have a green blow fly problem easier:
1) They’re usually metallic blue with black legs.
2) If you do see them, chances are something has died nearby. To help take care of any potential blow fly infestation, it’s important to look for areas with moisture and decaying organic material.
Especially close to sewer pipes, or areas with animal droppings or dead animals near the house. As a last resort, if all else fails, be sure to check out fly baits or traps for the area. That way you’ll know for sure if green blow flies have infiltrated your home. Blow flies or green bottle flies have larvae maggots that are around 10 to 14 millimeters in length.
They could be feeding on anything that’s already decaying. The larvae eggs could have already been deposited for roughly 3 to ten days before they turned into pupae larvae.
What Attracts Green Bottle Flies to your Home?
As we have already mentioned in the earlier sections of this article, bottle flies can live both outside and inside of your home.
Bottle flies like feeding on anything that has to do with filth. That means dead animals like birds. In fact, doesn’t have to be an animal with wings. It can also be land animals without wings like a mouse or a squirrel.
Furthermore, like many other species bottle flies have been known start feeding or spreading eggs in rotting tissue of open wounds in dead animals. To get rid of green bottle flies, you need to control what they are attracted to.
They feed and are attracted to areas such as:
- Rotting food
- Wet Garbage
- Overly riped fruit
- Any thing with Light
Are Green Bottle Flies Dangerous?
When it comes to green bottle flies, they really don’t pose an inherent danger to humans. While the presence of any fly can be annoying, the mere sight of these bottle-shaped critters is rarely enough to cause alarm.
Of course, one could argue that their potential for serving as carriers for diseases or parasites warrants caution and calls for control measures, but a simple flyswatter or spray should be enough to rid any home of airborne intruders.
Additionally, if you just can’t seem to get rid of them, consider consulting a pest control specialist who can assist with exterminating the little buggers.
Just remember – green bottle flies don’t bite, so despite their spookiness and propensity for lawn exploration and occasional carrion feeding, they’re nothing compared to those bloodthirsty mosquitoes!
How to Get Rid of Green Bottle Flies Naturally
Getting rid of green bottle flies can be an annoying and time-consuming task. Fortunately, you don’t have to resort to potentially toxic chemical solutions; nature has its own ways of keeping these pesky critters away!
To fight the green flies in house, first you need to know what attracts them: food sources, water sources, and dark areas. Once you identify their lure points and remove or limit their access to those things, your fly problem should be gone in no time. As an added bonus, this method is a much safer and more eco-friendly way of eliminating any fly from your place.
Here are some other ways you can eliminate them:
Using Indoor and Outdoor Pest Repellers
Getting rid of pesky green bottle flies is a challenge, but with the right materials you can easily deter these pests. Using both indoor and outdoor pest repellers is a great option for doing so in a safe and eco-friendly way.
Outdoor Perimeter Spray
This is a great option for controlling flies in your yard without having to resort to more extreme measures like harsh chemical sprays. It works by killing off the adult flies and their eggs the feed off your trash.
Like outdoor and indoor pest repellers, an indoor spray works the same way to get rid of flies. Furthermore, simply spray a little bit on the areas where you think these pesky flies feed.
Indoor Fly Traps
When it comes to pesky green flies in house, we can all agree: one is too many. But don’t despair – indoor fly traps are a discreet and reliable solution for keeping these pests at bay. Additionally, with models designed for use in kitchens, patios, and gardens alike, there’s sure to be something that fits your needs.
- PEST CONTROL: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Protect your best inside plant from fungus...
- EASY TO USE: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- ORGANIC GARDENING: Safe way to remove small pests with no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are attracted to the...
Indoor Bug Repellent Lightbulbs
Keep pesky pests such as green bottle flies away with indoor bug repellent lightbulbs. These innovative bulbs use natural oils and fragrances to repel bugs, while providing a bright and welcoming atmosphere within your home. Not only are they healthier and more efficient than conventional lightbulbs, they also eliminate the need for harsh chemical sprays.
- 15W bulb and 4200V electric shock grid to attract bug, mosquito and flies
- The internal grid is fenced with a ABS housing to prevent children and animals from touching
- The coverage area for this high-powered electric bug zapper more than 1500 sq ft. Ideal for indoor and outdoor
How to Get Rid of Green Bottle Flies Using Insecticides
Getting rid of green flies in house doesn’t have to be a challenging mission! With the right insecticides, you can easily take back your home from these annoying critters trying to lay their eggs everywhere.
Additionally, before you apply any kind of insecticide, it’s important to make sure that whatever product you use is specifically designed for green bottle flies.
That way, you can target them more effectively and reduce the chance of accidentally impacting other beneficial insects. With some patience and consistency, you’ll soon see amazing results. Here are some sprays you can try out:
Raid Pest Control
- ALL AROUND FLY TRAPS: Get rid of flies with our fly trap bundle featuring 20 ribbon fly strips plus 12 packs of our fly catchers for windows. Best for...
- AROMA & INSECTICIDE-FREE FLY TRAP: Discreetly get rid of flies with our fly paper strips free from any aroma. With our food-based attractant, you can...
- FLY CATCHER INDOOR & OUTDOOR USE: Freely place both the fly strips ribbon and sticky fly trap anywhere - preferably in garages, barns, porches,...
Raid Pest Control offers relief from pests of all shapes and sizes. Whether creepy crawlies, rodents, or frustrating flying insects, our expert exterminators pride ourselves on finding fast, effective solutions to keep those pesky pests away. Additionally, with the highest grade equipment and tailored treatments that help protect your home or business, we know you’ll be satisfied with a pest-free environment. Plus, our customer service is top notch–available when you need it so you’re never left in the dark!
Activated Carbon Garbage Patch
- Keep your kitchen fresh and clean - Our trash can deodorizer effectively rids your home of foul smells! Forget about the old hacks with charcoal,...
- Advanced technology at work - Simply place on the lid of your bathroom trash can or kitchen garbage can and say goodbye to the stench! Experience the...
- Long lasting odor prevention - 15 times more effective than charcoal bags and 20 times more effective than baking soda. Place on the lid of any trash...
Keeping our homes pest-free can be a real chore, with traditional methods often proving to be too much hard work. Instead of wasting your time and energy struggling with sprays and traps. Simply place one of these Garbage Patches in problem areas to remove those pesky insects once and for all.
Pest Control Spray
- SUPER CONVENIENT – this is the perfect way to treat small to medium sized properties for mosquitos. Each 32oz sprayer will treat around 8,000 sq...
- NATURAL ACTIVE INGREDIENTS – contains a powerful blend of 6 Natural Essential Oils including Geraniol, Citronella, Garlic Oil, Rosemary Oil, Lemon...
- LABORATORY TESTED and PROVEN to KILL 100% of mosquitos sprayed within 24 hours and then repel new ones from entering the area. It is also effective on...
Pests are an inevitable part of life, but with the right pest control spray you can keep them in check. Whether it’s ants or beetles in your garden. Mice in the kitchen cupboard or wasps nesting in your roof. Additionally, a simple outdoor pest control spray will do the trick.
How To Prevent Green Bottle Fly Infestation
The dreaded green flies in house issue is the bane of many a homeowner’s existence, but don’t fret! Make sure that all your garbage cans and other receptacles with organic waste have fitting lids. Furthermore, this is to prevent flies from laying their eggs in it. If you’re raising animals, regularly clean out their housing and areas around them. Additionally, Green flies in house, are attracted to manure or stale food. Lastly, for those warm summer days when windows are attractive for bees.