Are you looking for the best fruit fly spray? Every home owner dreads the thought of seeing fruit flies in their home. In fact, any kind of bug is enough to make you cringe especially when they fly near your food.
Fruit flies are no different, and when they start infesting our home we always want to kill it right away.
These pesky fruit flies could be flying near your kitchen drain, garbage disposals, sink drains, rotting vegetables, and plants.
The best way that you can get rid of fruit flies is by making sure that you have fruit fly traps around your house for fruit fly control.
Do you have a fruit fly problem? If so, you’re not alone. These pesky little bugs can be difficult to get rid of. In this blog post, we will teach you how to make your own DIY fruit flies traps that will get rid of them for good!
- 1 Where Do Fruit Flies Come From?
- 2 Gnats VS. Fruit Flies
- 3 How Do You Get Rid of Fruit Flies?
- 4 What is the Best Fruit Fly Spray?
- 5 General Information
- 6 What Kills Flies Instantly?
- 7 Can You Buy a Fruit Fly Spray?
- 8 What Can I Spray to Get Rid of Fruit Flies?
Where Do Fruit Flies Come From?
Alright, before you start eliminating of fruit flies, it’s essential to know where they come from so that you can know how control the problem before it gets worse.
Fruit flies are most commonly seen around homes, stores, restaurants, trash cans, or anywhere where there’s rotting food and fruits. Adult fruit flies are approximately 1/8 inches long and a very prominent feature is a fruit flies red eyes.
Female adult fruit flies can lay 500 eggs in fruit fly breeding areas like organic areas, rotting food or moist/drier areas.
Fruit flies also lay eggs in decaying fruit, rotten fruit, over ripe fruits, and rotting vegetables found in garbage cans.
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap mosquitoes, gnats, flies, horse fly, housefly, nat, lantern fly, knat, and many other irritating flying insect with this...
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Hanging hook lets you place the trap anywhere near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, and catch all pests. Try...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, garage, patios, gardens, stable, lawn, chicken coop, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects to keep them...
The reproductive life cycle for fruit flies is also very fast paced. Once and adult female fruit fly lays an egg, it will only the fruit fly larvae a week to turn into adults. Once the life cycle is complete, it will repeat and those small flies will breed again and produce more fruit fly larvae.
Small flies can also develop in vegetables and fruits. You may find these small flies breed and fermenting liquid at the bottom of potatoes, rotting onions, a kitchen drain, or a dirty house mop.
Fruit flies can also breed and accumulate an egg under most material that is organic or under your refrigerator. Fruit flies are primarily an annoyance and get attracted to almost anything that smells sweet.
These tiny flies also have the ability to contaminate your food when they lay eggs, so it’s always best to clean your kitchen surface, or any surface that has food or fruit laying around.
Gnats VS. Fruit Flies
Many people also confuse fruit flies with fungus gnats, vinegar flies, drain flies, and a lot other small flying insects. gnats are quite different from fruit flies. The wings are smaller as compared to a fruit flies wings.
The difference from gnats and a fruit fly is that they are insects that like soil and plants. Gnats also have a different breeding system – fungus gnats lay their eggs differently as well. Breeding happens in moist, shaded, or decaying areas. The cycle for larvae with gnats is also different.
- Pest Control: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Protect your best inside plant from fungus...
- Easy To Use: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- Organic Gardening: Safe way to remove small pests with non toxic and no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are...
Gnat larvae often take about 4 weeks before they turn into adults right after hatching from their eggs.
Breeding season also for gnats is during spring and summer weather conditions where it is most humid. Breeding for fruit flies happen any time as long as there are fermenting fruits around your household.
How Do You Get Rid of Fruit Flies?
Alright, now that we know where fruit flies come from, now it’s time to talk about how to eliminate fruit flies or what you can do to make sure that you kill these pesky bugs.
Fruit fly control is fairly easy, but it would be more effective if you have a fruit fly traps available so that you do not need to worry about fruit fly control at all.
Here are some things you can start doing to curb bug control for fruit flies:
Make Sure to Clean All Surfaces in Your Home
Alright, so the first step that you can do to eliminate fruit flies from your home, is to clean all the surfaces on your house especially your kitchen. Make sure to wipe it down completely and get rid of any food residue as well.
Also remember to clean out your drain as it be grounds for fruit flies to breed.
Throw Out Any Rotting Food and Fruit
Fruits attract fruit flies that’s because a fruit fly is attracted to sweet smelling food source. If you have a fruit bowl with fruits that are about to go bad, make sure that you throw them out right away.
A fruit fly can fly into the fruit lay their larvae there. Plus, any other bug can start feasting on it while its on your kitchen counter. Always make sure that you make it a habit to throw things out.
Make Use of Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar works well as a fruit fly trap. A fruit fly can smell sweets in the air and will make sure to explore where it is.
To use apple cider vinegar as a trap, all you need to do is fill a bowl with the apple cider vinegar and mix in some water.
Seal the fruit fly trap with plastic wrap, then put a rubber band to hold it down. Make sure that when you are done with making the trap, keep it out of reach of kids and pets.
Mix Apple Cider With Dish Soap
Soap is another great way to trap a fruit fly and drain flies. In a small bowl, fill it with equal parts vinegar and dish soap then mix it well. The sweetness of the apple cider will attract the drain flies.
What is the Best Fruit Fly Spray?
So, what is the best fruit fly spray that you can use? There are also some fruit fly sprays that you can make yourself. These sprays work best on your garbage cans and on your kitchen drain. The spray will quickly eliminate the drain flies.
Here are some that you can try using in your home:
Natria Neem Oil Drain and Fruit Fly Spray
- Right Results: Help stop pests and diseases with Natria Neem Oil; As a multi-use insect repellent for plants, post bud, this fungicide concentrate can...
- Easy-to-Use Neem Oil Pesticide: This neem oil for indoor plants and trees comes in concentrate form for easy application; Our plant fungicide can be...
- Organic Neem Oil: This multi-purpose plant concentrate can be used on a variety of indoor and outdoor plants; As a bug and disease defense, our neem...
This spray is one of the best you can use to kill drain flies and horse flies. It’s organic and made with essential oils that works by contact.
You can spray this product on your flowers, plants, vegetables, and fruits. You can also use this spray near your kitchen drain to kill all the drain flies.
Mighty Mint Pest and Insect Control Peppermint Oil
- Great Value - Concentrate Makes One Gallon (8 Sprayer Refills!)
- Safe for People and Pets
- Powered by Concentrated Natural Peppermint Oil
This product is plant based and is peppermint scented to repel flies and other flying insects in your house. It’s 100% safe and organic.
The spray contains essential oils that are safe to use to around kids and pets because it is non-toxic. It’s also very affordable and has the best insecticide properties to kill flies and other insects.
Ortho Home Defense Flying Bug Killer
- Safe and strong essential oil formula (Safe to use around kids and pets when used as directed.)
- Safe to use around kids and pets when used as directed
- Tested and proven to start killing flying bugs in seconds** (**Tested on flies and mosquitoes.)
It kills bugs directly and has the highest number of kills compared to other bug sprays. The main ingredient in this product includes sodium lauryl sulfate that is safe for the skin. This ingredient is also used for making face wash, toothpaste, and soap.
Essential oil is another key ingredient in this is essential oil. There’s castor oil, corn mint oil, clove oil, cinnamon oil, and geranoil.
Wondercide Natural Indoor Pest Control Spray
- KILLS & REPELS. A mosquito preventative and a treatment, this pest-repellent spray bundle is powered by natural essential oils and protects your pets...
- SPRAY & PLAY! Safe around cats, dogs, and people of all ages, with no wait time for drying or reentry into sprayed areas and environments. Just attach...
- TREATS UP TO 15,000 SQUARE FEET. Can be safely used on lawns, gardens, grass, patios, dog kennels, vegetables, flowers, siding, brick, paint, and...
It also kills fleas, ticks, ants, roaches, wasps, scorpions, moths, gnats, carpet beetles, waterbugs, and many more. Additionally, it can also kill fly larvae and has a long lasting effect.
Find out the breeding grounds of the birds and their characteristics, and help them control the growths of the rhizomes and flies.
Generally speaking, the names of indoor breeding birds include horse flies, dry flies, vinegar flies, moth flies and funguses in general as well as gnats in particular. Larvae of riparian flies are small in size but are usually un-recognized.
What Kills Flies Instantly?
Place boiling white vinegar in the drain line if necessary. It’s simple and effective to remove fruit fly. Flies make their homes in humid and hidden places — including shower drains, sink drains, toilets and more.
Can You Buy a Fruit Fly Spray?
What Can I Spray to Get Rid of Fruit Flies?
A chemical fog containing insects containing pyrithrine can cause the death of the adults of flies. Simply applying the product in the air for three seconds will effectively destroy the majority of Fruit Fly in the vicinity.