Ah, Summer; the time of year where flies and other buzzing pests begin to make their way into our homes, that’s why we all need fly repellent candles. Flies are irritating at best and dangerous at worst. And, we don’t really want to chase them around with an insect spray that’ll leave us coughing all day. They’re dead, but at what cost? In this article, we’ll go through the best natural fly repellent candles found in the market today, including a nifty buyer’s guide and more tips on how to eliminate flies – the natural way!
- 1 Top 5 Fly Repellent Candles to Keep Pesky Flies Away
- 1.1 La Jolíe Muse Citronella Candles
- 1.2 Murphy’s Naturals Insect & Fly Repellent Candle
- 1.3 Mintronella Essential Oil Insect and Fly Repellent Candle
- 1.4 NO NATZ Outdoor Patio Wood Wick Candle
- 1.5 Mosquito Guard Repellent Tea Light Candles
- 2 Factors to Consider When Buying Fly Repellent Candles
- 3 How to Keep Flies Away – 8 Natural Ways to Repel Flies
- 4 Conclusion
Top 5 Fly Repellent Candles to Keep Pesky Flies Away
As follows are our top 5 choices for the best fly repellent candles found in the industry, including individual pros and cons. Let’s get started!
No products found.
The La Jolíe Muse Citronella candles are one of the most popular choices for repelling insects, due to the concentrated form of antioxidants and phytochemicals they take directly from the plant’s stems and leaves to make this candle. This candle has a powerful citrusy aroma with a bottom note of fresh, clean fragrance. It’s also made with pure soy wax, which makes it eco-friendly, biodegradable, and harmless to humans and pets. It smells wonderful, looks fancy, and greatly aids in keeping insects at bay.
- Make with 100% citronella oil extracted directly from the plant
- Soy wax makes it burn longer and cleaner without worrying about black smoke
- Highly effective in repelling flies
- A bit expensive
- 30 Hours of Mosquito Protection: A citrusy blend of rosemary, peppermint, and lemongrass oils smell great while allowing you to sit back and relax...
- Harness the Power of Nature: We use a combination of plant-based repellent oils that other manufacturers tend to overlook, to provide you with the...
- Five Key Plant-Based Repellent Oils: Rosemary Oil, Peppermint Oil, Citronella Oil, Lemongrass oil, Cedarwood Oil
Despite Murphy’s Naturals Repellent Candle being advertised for mosquitoes, it’s also quite potent as a fly repellent. This is because this candle is made with plant-based oil ingredients that are all proven to repel flies: Citronella, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Cedarwood, and Rosemary. This product offers an exceptional refreshing scent and creates a fly-free environment. It just simply gets the job done!
- Has a refreshing scent
- Works for a wide array of insects, including mosquitoes, flies, gnats, and moths
- Simple yet functional
- Burns quickly
- This All Natural Candle will be Maximized by burning only In Temperatures Above 60 Degrees. Works best when placed lowest to the ground as possible,...
- 100% Plant-Based Proprietary Blend of Powerful "10% Essential oil Concentration" Natural Lemongrass, Citronella, Citrus, Mint + Lavender Oil Helps to...
- Family owned And Solely Operated. 100% U.S.A Made. Hand Crafted Re-Purpose Jar. 16 Ounces Mason Jar. Burn Rate over 80 Hours @ 4-5 Hours per day. NO...
The Mintronella Essential Oil Insect Repellent is for those who love the smell of Citronella, Rosemary, Mint, and Lavender. Its scent is powerful but not too overwhelming. It is perfect for outdoor deck parties, camping, and just keeping it in your yard to deter flies from getting in your house. This 16-ounce mason jar candle is made without petroleum or paraffin, which makes it eco-friendly and 100% non-toxic. You won’t have to worry about soot or char with this candle.
- Repels a variety of flying insects including mosquitoes, flies, gnats, and the like
- Calming scent
- Great for using in the patio outdoors
- Long-lasting; burns for 85+ hours
- The wicks are short so the fire may snuff out after several hours’ use
- Hand-Crafted Safe Formula - NO NATZ Outdoor Patio Candle is a hand-crafted formula made with the finest essential oils including: Lemongrass Oil,...
- Sold Across the USA - NO NATZ Outdoor Patio Candle is available across the United States. The ambiance, along with the freshness gives a soothing...
- Long Lasting - Our NO NATZ Outdoor Patio Candle has a wood wick that burns for 60 hours. The candle has an aromatically rich, woody fragrance and is...
Another great outdoor fly repellent is the NO NATZ Patio Candle. It’s perfect for picnics, barbecues, and any outdoor activities you may have! This candle is hand-crafted from the finest essential oils that repel insects: Lemongrass, Rosemary, Lemon, and Lavender. The difference between this candle and the other two candles made from the same essential oil is that the NO NATZ Patio Candle is that it has the aroma of coconut mixed in. This 16oz candle burns for 60 hours and is made with a paraffin-soy wax blend.
- Nicely scented with hints of coconut
- Works as advertised
- Burns quickly
- Scent may be too strong for some
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS: Our mosquito candles are made with Natural Plant Based Ingredients - Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Cedarwood, and Lemongrass...
- DEET FREE: Our bug repellent outdoor candles are completely DEET FREE
- PLEASANT SMELLING: Our citronella candles outdoor bug repellant produces an aroma that people find refreshing and not too overpowering unlike other...
Keep pesky critters like gnats, flies, and mosquitoes at bay with the Mosquito Guard Repellent Candle. This candle comes in a pack of 16 tea lights made with natural plant-based ingredients, namely Citronella, Peppermint, Rosemary, Cedarwood and Lemongrass Oil. Entirely DEET-free and made with Soybean oil and Beeswax, each candle provides up to 4 hours of burn time and provides protection and repels flying insects. It’s affordable, works great against flies, and smells pretty good! This one’s a solid choice.
- Big bang for your buck
- Effective fly repellent
- Made with no harsh chemicals
- Candle quality is subpar compared to the other candles on this list
Factors to Consider When Buying Fly Repellent Candles
When buying a fly repellent candles, it’s important to consider the following factors:
As these candles burn for a little over an hour or two, you’ll need to make sure all your family members are unbothered with the smell of the candle you’ll be purchasing. It wouldn’t make sense to suffer through a scent you can’t stand, even if it’s more potent than the alternative. I personally don’t like the smell of lavender, but I know friends who simply adore the scent! It all comes down to preference at the end of the day.
This refers to how long your candle will stay lit before burning out. Good quality candles normally burn from five to eight hours per 1 ounce of wax.
This part depends on the number of flies you’re dealing with on a daily basis. If you have multiple rooms with a ton of insects flying around, it’s best to buy a set instead of individual candles. As it’ll both save you money, and shorten the time to repel flies.
How to Keep Flies Away – 8 Natural Ways to Repel Flies
Flies are not only annoying, but they can also have different types of diseases, that may be a hazard if left untreated. Here are our top 8 natural ways to repel flies, without using toxic bug sprays.
Flypapers are one of the most widely used techniques in eliminating flies. In a nutshell, flypapers, or fly traps, are sticky strips of paper coated with a substance that attracts flies. The scent of flypapers is almost undetectable to humans, but to flies, it’s irresistible. Flypapers are inexpensive and are an environmentally friendly way to get rid of flies. If you’re dealing with a ton of flies, we definitely recommend you to buy one of these. Plus, they not only trap flies; oftentimes other flying insects get trapped as well. That’s always a big bonus!
Fly curtains not only look fancy, but fly curtains also decrease the chance of flies getting in the rooms of your house. This product comes in different designs and can even be custom made to match your interior. Some of the more popular choices are fly curtains made of beads, mesh, or string.
Green Fly Sprays
If all else fails, consider purchasing a “green” fly-repellent. Instead of using toxic insect sprays that suffocate both insects and humans, green fly-repellents are an ideal substitute. They’re eco-friendly, 100% non-toxic, and often leaves a nice, botanical scent.
- ECO-SAFE: Serious protection that's safe for the environment and the whole family
- REPELS & CONTROLS: Biting flies, mosquitoes, ticks, gnats
- BOTANICALS: Made with 7 essential botanical oils, leaves a fresh botanical scent
Many homes come with pre-installed flyscreens in doors or windows, so if you already have one, t’s a good idea to check them regularly for small holes. If you don’t, they come fairly cheap in almost all the big supermarkets in your area.
- 36 inch x 84 inch
- Perfect for use in windows and doors
- Will not dent, crease, or unravel
Plant Fly Repellent Plants
There are lots of herbs and plants that you can plant that act as natural insect repellents. Whether you want to plant them out in your garden or in pots hung in your kitchen’s window seals, it’s always a good idea to grow plants in your home. They refresh the air, boost your mood, and it just simply looks good! The added benefit of repelling flies is just a bonus. Here’s a list of the best plants you can use to get rid of a range of bugs:
- Bay laurel
- Citronella grass
If you’re not too fond of houseplants, or just simply don’t have the time to take care of them, a great alternative is utilizing essential oils. Lavender, Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Lemongrass essential oils are our top choices. These oils will leave a beautiful aroma in your house and also deter most flying insects including flies, mosquitos, gnats, and moths.
Natural Fly Trap With Apple Cider Vinegar
Flies are greatly attracted to the smell of apple cider vinegar, and you can take advantage of that fact by making a homemade trap. Do this by mixing apple cider vinegar with liquid soap in a bowl and leaving it on a table for a day or two. Flies will be attracted to the smell and would want a little taste, but be surprised that they can’t escape the surface tension created by the liquid solution you’ve made. It’s easy but highly effective!
Tightly locking your windows and doors, including every nook and cranny, is one possible way to keep flies out. But that’s not really a way to live, is it? The next best option is, of course, eliminating them the natural way. Fly repellent candles are a great way to reduce the number of flying insects in your house, and all the listed above are some of the best found in the market today. Trappify also offers several indoor and outdoor Fly Traps designed to keep your home and garden a Fly free zone –> SEE HERE