Ever thought what would be common between fruits and pets? Simple! They both attract uninvited guests to your house. Fleas and fruit flies seem to suddenly appear out of thin air and unfortunately, one organism can lead to a whole epidemic in your house. Today we will break down flea vs fruit fly and everything you need to know.
We have covered everything you need to know about their differences and similarities to protect your house’s environment.
You know what they say, keep your friends close, but know your enemies and drive them out of your house.
Let’s get started!
- 1 Flea vs Fruit Fly – Overview
- 2 Flea vs Fruit Fly – How Fast Do They Spread?
- 3 Flea vs Fruit Fly – How To Spot Them?
- 4 Flea vs Fruit Fly – The Bottom Line
Flea vs Fruit Fly – Overview
Fleas, or Siphonapteras, are ⅛ of an inch, flightless insects with narrow forms that survive as external parasites on the bodies of birds and mammals. They have a life cycle of 18 to 21 days at an ideal temperature of 26 to 32°C with 70% humidity.
On the other hand, fruit flies, Drosophila Melanogasters, are similar to fleas as they also are ⅛ of an inch in size. They are characteristically brown with red eyes and fragile wings. Thankfully though, their lifespan lasts for about a week. On the contrary to fleas, this species lives longer in colder temperatures, ideally from 12 to 32°C.
Both insects’ life span gets affected by the change of environmental conditions, like temperature and humidity.
Where Do Fleas and Fruit Flies Come From?
Unlike fruit flies, fleas usually get a chance inside your house through a host, usually pets.
When your cat or dog leaves to play outdoors, the insect attaches to your pet’s fur and immediately uses its strong claws and piercing mouthparts to enjoy a dose of blood. Their hind legs aid them in leaping as far as 1 foot in the air to spread to other warm-blooded organisms, and later on to your house and furniture.
- OUR PROMISE TO YOU – Your 100% satisfaction is assured and backed by a Full-Service Manufacturer's Warranty and Dedicated Customer Support (see user...
- STOP TRASH ODORS – 1 Natural Carbon Odor Filter is included to absorb and neutralize trash odors, for a fresh and clean smelling home
- EXTRA-LONG BATTERY LIFE – Only draws power as needed. 3X battery life of other sensor cans. 4 D size batteries (not included) can last up to 1.5...
Conversely, fruit flies don’t need a host, but they have a major attractant you may be leaving behind. Adult fruit flies strongly gravitate towards moist, fermenting materials and unclean surfaces. This includes rotten food, empty bottles, and trash cans. They survive by ingesting decaying matter.
Flea vs Fruit Fly – How Fast Do They Spread?
Once both insects find a source of nourishment, reproduction begins!
Fleas and fruit flies need as few as 24 hours to mate and lay their eggs. Not to mention, fleas lay about 40 – 50 eggs daily in your pet’s fur. Upon having your fluffy friend rest around on the furniture and carpets, the eggs fall from the fur onto the cushions.
In contrast to fleas, Adult flies lay up to 500 eggs at once in areas with sustenance. This makes the riddance of fleas much more rigorous than that of the fruit flies.
Flea vs Fruit Fly – How To Spot Them?
Spotting an infestation of any kind often needs a sharp eye.
- PEAR GROWN IN OUR OWN ORCHARDS: Not only do we make premium gift baskets - we are also farmers! Our family orchards were planted three-quarters of a...
- FARMSTEAD FRESH CHEESE: Our Farmstead Gourmet Cheddar, is also from a family farm that truly believes happy cows produce better milk and that leads to...
- CLASSIC FAVORITES: Fresh crop whole roasted, salted almonds, and crisp, savory olive oil and sea salt crackers complete the accompaniments in this...
Gnat-sized fruit flies are generally noticed hovering in groups over decaying fruits and vegetables, trash cans, open garbage bins, sink drains, kitchens, and dirty bathrooms. It’s that simple!
- VEGETABLE SOUP BLEND - The Frontier Co-op Vegetable Soup Blend is a flavorful combination of vegetables including onion, carrot, peas, potatoes, bell...
- VERSATILE USES - These convenient mixed dried veggies go well with ground black pepper to enhance the flavor and aroma of prepared foods. They’re...
- ROBUST, FRESH FLAVOR - The Frontier Deluxe Vegetable Soup Blend contains the distinct and mixed flavor of carrots, dehydrated onion, tomatoes, peas,...
On the other hand, fleas leave a few hints on your pet and around your house. You should be aware of the following signs of a possible flea infestation:
- Easy to Clean Pet Grooming Brush Removes Mats,dander and trapped dirt,Rotatable Slicker Brush-Easy to clean various places Suitable for Long and Short...
- Pet Slicker Brush doing massage for your pet is good for preventing skin disease and increasing blood circulation.and leaves your pets coat soft and...
- Our Pet Brush is Simple design specially designed with a comfort-grip and anti-slip handle, which prevents hand and wrist strain no matter how long...
Not only do flea bites cause sharp pain, but their saliva is also irritating, which leads your cat or dog to bite and scratch at its fur. When you suspect the little vermins, try inspecting and brushing your pet’s fur.
You will be able to see adult fleas jumping about your house. For every adult flea you catch, it’s estimated at least 100 other immature ones are hiding around.
Fleas leave behind “flea dirt”, which looks like tiny black spots. Flea dirt is a piece of dried blood. You will be able to spot it on your carpet, or pet’s bedding and skin.
You may also encounter tiny, red itchy spots on your body caused by a flea bite. In this case, it’s recommended you contact your doctor for a topical treatment prescription.
Fleas in their early stages including eggs, pupae, and larvae are more dormant and less active. For this reason, they tend to be huddled up in out-of-reach places like behind or under furniture or inside floor cracks and grooves.
Finding the mentioned bugs in such locations usually indicate a control issue and a potential infestation.
How Do I Prevent Them?
An infestation didn’t happen, but is liable to occur, what’s next?
The phrase “prevention is better than cure” comes in handy when discussing infestations. The best route of avoidance is aiming to prevent.
- Provides 8-months of continuous flea and tick prevention
- Seresto flea and tick collar for large dogs works through contact, so fleas and ticks do not have to bite your dog to die
- Veterinarian-recommended flea and tick prevention for dogs in a convenient, odorless and non-greasy collar; No need for messy monthly treatments
For fleas, you either discourage your pet from playing outside by providing them with toys and other needs indoors, or you thoroughly check up on them and favorably bathe them after they come from outside, which is rigorous and inaccurate.
- 【Value Package】This set of 8 squeaky plush dog toys and 4 dog rope toys is the best choice to help dogs expend excess energy and fight boredom....
- 【Safe & Non Toxic Material】Puppy Teething Toys are made of 100% natural cotton, squeaky toys are made of premium plush. Durable, non-toxic, safe...
- 【Beneficial to dental health】 Satisfy your dog's natural urge to chew and help its teeth and gums to grow healthily.help to keep teeth clean and...
That’s why there are multiple options including oral pills or treats, topical gels, or liquids applied to the skin or flea collars that protect your pet from these pests. It’s recommended you discuss with your vet which option may be the most suitable for your domestic animal.
- GENTLE PROTECTION: Vet's Best Flea & Tick Home Spray uses certified natural ingredients to kill fleas, flea eggs, and ticks on contact.
- PROVEN EFFECTIVE: Whether facing an active infestation or are applying for routine prevention, our spray is scientifically proven effective against...
- CERTIFIED NATURAL OILS: Each steam-distilled essential oil is selected for its potent pest-fighting properties and is 100% Certified Natural.
Preventing fruit flies, however, is much more simple than the former. Fruit flies despise clean premises. Say your house is squeaky clean but your kitchen and toilet tend to be a little more humid or moist, no worries!
As mentioned, they’re attracted to moist, fermenting areas. So as long as your ripened produce is kept in airtight containers, you have nothing to fret over. Furthermore, it’s preferred you empty your trash bins regularly, preferably every night. You can also install mesh screens on windows and doors to avoid having them fly right through these entrances.
How To Get Rid of Them?
Whether it may be fleas or fruit flies, an infestation took over your house, and it seems impossible to undo what’s already been done, right? Wrong!
Understanding the stages of their life cycle will allow you to enhance or alter your treatment plan. The rapidity of development from an egg, to a larva, pupa, and finally an adult flea and fruit fly, greatly depends on external conditions.
Eliminating adult fleas is much easier than removing the eggs but they’re both equally essential. Here are a few methods:
- Use a strong vacuum on your furniture, carpets, and mattresses.
- Wash your pet’s bedding and toys using dish soap and warm water. Rinse using hot water to kill any hiding eggs.
- This liquid Dish Soap cuts through grease, while making dishes clean and bright
- Our Dish Soap has a biodegradable formula that contains plant-derived cleaning agents and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients to make grease...
- Garden-inspired Lavender has an original and clean floral scent
- Use Insecticides like aerosol that can reach crevices and insect growth regulators like pyriproxyfen and methoprene that eradicate eggs, larvae, and pupae.
- Treat your pet with the required medication.
- Waterproof flea and tick treatment for dogs: Frontline Plus for Dogs provides waterproof, fast-acting, long-lasting flea and tick treatment and...
- Break the flea life cycle with frontline: Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs kills adult fleas plus flea eggs and larvae to stop existing...
- Kills fleas and ticks: Frontline flea and tick treatment for dogs kills fleas, flea eggs, lice, and ticks. This flea and tick treatment kills ticks,...
Contrarily, exterminating fruit flies is majorly by removing the cause:
- Clean surfaces and dumpsters.
- Air out moist or highly humid areas in the house.
- Use an insecticide like aerosol.
- Invest in a fruit fly trap.
- Make a vinegar or dish soap solution for a home-made trap.
- Find the source whether it may be leaking water or a broken tile and fix it.
- Why Customers Choose Lucy’s Vinegar - From cleaning to cooking, Lucy's 5% Distilled White Vinegar is simply the right choice! Because of our...
- Cooking - Spices up dipping sauces, develops flavor, makes homemade bread crusts golden brown, freshens wilted vegetable’s, substitutes for salt or...
- Cleaning - Yes! White Vinegar for cleaning works fantastically. Check out some of our customer reviews to see how they've applied our Vinegar for...
Flea vs Fruit Fly – The Bottom Line
Flea vs fruit fly, no one likes having crawling or flying intruders at their house. That’s why it’s important to understand their biology and behavior to take the required measures when you notice an infestation.
It’s exhausting to realize that your house could be liable to an infestation when you’re keeping your indoor environment under control. That’s why prevention is key.
Remember to treat all sources of the cause at the same time. In the case of fleas, treat your pet and house simultaneously. While in fruit flies’, aim to clean your house and get rid of any trash at once, instead of stretching the task over a few days.
For a complete selection of all of our pest control options, CLICK HERE!