Keep reading to find out more about these electric gnat killers and how they can put an end to your pesky pest problem.
Are flying insects pestering you day and night? Do you want to get rid of them but hate the idea of spraying harmful chemicals into the air? Then, what you’re looking for is an electric gnat killer that works on most flies.
Also called bug zappers, these devices are placed in areas where insects pose a health risk. Some examples would be in commercial kitchens like the ones in cafes and restaurants. Other places include outdoor businesses like car workshops and plant sheds. Alternatively, you can install them in your home or yard.
- 1 Types of Electric Gnat Killers
- 2 How Do Electric Gnat Killers Work?
- 3 The Best Electric Gnat Killers
- 4 Are Electric Gnat Killers Effective?
- 5 The Best Place to Install Stationary Electric Gnat Killers
- 6 A Final Note – Electric Gnat Killers
Types of Electric Gnat Killers
There are two main types of insect zappers: the stationary and the racket.
Stationary Electric Gnat Killers
- Triple trapping power, first the UV light attracts the bug then the fan sucks it in and the sticky glue boards trap it. No Zapper.
- Subtle and stylish fruit fly, gnat and mosquito killer, no more ugly traps, easily place in your home, kitchen or office as a decorative, stylish...
- Trap indoors, close to insect-ridden fruit, plants or trash bin, turn off lights for best results.
Stationary electric gnat killers consist of bars of ultraviolet light within an electrically-charged wire mesh grid. Flying insects can detect ultraviolet light more so than other types of visible light.
An effective zapper should be able to provide at least 4000 volts of electricity. It should also be waterproof and fire-resistant.
Hand-Held Electric Fly Swatters
- Featuring a 4,000-volt grid, our electric bug zapper is a modern take on the traditional fly swatter. Instantly eliminate mosquitos, flies, fruit...
- The Zap It! bug zapper can not only be used as an indoor bug zapper, it can be used as an outdoor zapper too! Whether you’re camping, hiking or...
- For quick, convenient charging, plug in your fly zapper using the included USB cable. As powerful as it is efficient, the built-in lithium battery...
Hand-hand fly swatters look like tennis rackets. Their handles act as the battery compartment, while the strings are made of metal and designed to be close together.
A good swatter should generate no less than 3000 volts. It should also be lightweight, weighing an average of 11 ounces.
These devices are good for places with low insect infestations. They’re also good for taking along on picnics or outings where you don’t have access to an electric outlet.
How Do Electric Gnat Killers Work?
When you plug in the stationary zapper, the UV lights turn on. Insects will instantly try to get close to the lights through the small gaps in between the mesh grid. Once they touch the mesh, they complete the circuit, causing a powerful jolt that electrocutes them.
When you switch the swatter on, the strings become electrically conductive. All you have to do is move the racket, and any insect that comes in contact with the strings will get zapped.
It’s worth mentioning that some bug zappers are designed with more than one layer of mesh. This design is meant to protect you from accidentally touching it and zapping yourself. It’s an important feature, especially if you have children or pets that may have access to the device. The good news is this double mesh layer doesn’t reduce its bug-killing power in any way.
The Best Electric Gnat Killers
After reading about electric gnat killers and how they work, here’s a roundup of the best three on the market.
LiBa Electric Indoor Bug Zapper: Best Overall
- Powerful Effective : Electronic bug zapper with high powered electric grid, uses 365nm wavelength 18W UV light to attract mosquitoes, gnats,...
- Safety and Eco Friendly : The outdoor mosquito zapper has a ABS safety grid, preventing people or pets from accidentally touching the mosquito trap....
- Outdoor & Indoor Use : Hanging ring at the top of the bug zapper , which is easy to hang on trees, porches and other places, great for bedroom, living...
The Liba bug zapper weighs a mere 4 pounds and measures only 3 x 10.5 x 15 inches. Yet, it’s capable of covering a space of 6000 square feet. It’s also portable and doesn’t take up a lot of space. It comes with two blue UV lights covered with a corrosion-resistant mesh layer on the front and back.
Underneath the mesh is a tray that catches all the pesky bugs. You can remove it for easy cleaning. This zapper is quiet and energy-efficient, which makes it great for your home or commercial space.
- Comes with two UV bulb replacements
- This is a GENUINE GermGuardian UV C bulb for GermGuardian Air Sanitizer Models GG1000, GG1100W and GG1100B and PureGuardian Humidifier model H5450BCA
- IMPORTANT: Use Genuine Guardian Technologies replacement parts to maintain product performance
- 3.5 Watt bulb with the power of UV-C
- Bulbs aren’t as long-lasting as other models
MOSKILA 6-Pack Indoor Bug Zapper: Best Value
No products found.
The Moskila bug zapper uses the power of high-intensity light to eliminate all types of flying insects. It can be safely used indoors and outdoors, even with kids and pets around, thanks to its protective covering.
One of its best features is that it’s portable, measuring only 100 x 70 mm. It’s quiet, odorless, and can cover an area of about 172 square feet.
Another handy feature is that these devices are easy to clean. Simply unplug from the wall socket, open the protective covering, then clean the inside with cleaning wipes.
- One 75-count canister of Fresh Scent & Two 75-count canisters of Lemon Scent; 225 disinfecting wipes total
- Kills 99.9% of bacteria in 15 seconds
- Kills cold & flu virus, E. coli, salmonella, and staph
- Safe for kids and pets
- Easy to clean
- Suitable for both indoor and outdoor use
- Frequent turning on and off weakens the bulbs
ZAP IT! Bug Zapper Racket
- Featuring a 4,000-volt grid, our electric zapper is a modern take on traditional swatters. Instantly eliminating mosquitos, flies and other pests in a...
- Specially designed to bring the bugs to you, our latest model features a blue light attractant. Paired with the racket-inspired frame and ergonomic...
- For quick, convenient charging, plug your racket into any USB device with the included cable. As powerful as it is efficient, the built-in Lithium...
If you’re looking for something a bit more portable, then the Zap-It fly swatter is what you need. It provides a robust 4000-volt grid that instantly does away with any pesky bugs.
At the same time, it’s extremely safe. The three layers of mesh and the glowing indicator light prevent any accidental zapping.
One great feature is the blue LED light on the handle that attracts the flies. You can use it as a flashlight at night, which is a bonus.
This fly swatter has a built-in lithium battery. You can quickly recharge it using the USB cable that comes with the swatter.
- Triple-layer mesh
- Ergonomic handle
- LED light
- No indicator light when charging
Are Electric Gnat Killers Effective?
How effective any electric gnat killer is depends on two things. The first factor is the size of the area the device is covering. The second one is the amount of power it can provide.
Some bug zappers have electric cords, others are battery-operated, and others are rechargeable. Think about where you need it the most and which model would best work for this area.
Stationary bug zappers are better where there’s a larger infestation. They’re also more convenient because you hang them up and let them do all the hard work.
Bug rackets, on the other hand, only work when you need them. You turn the device on, then swat away. Their best features are that they’re portable and don’t need any electric outlets.
The three main advantages of any electric gnat killer you choose are that they’re safe, odorless, and non-toxic. Compared to bug sprays, fumigators, and insecticides, these devices are better for your health and the environment.
The Best Place to Install Stationary Electric Gnat Killers
Finding the best place to install a stationary electric gnat killer is essential. It can add or take away from the effectiveness of the device.
Please take a look at these three tips when it’s time to pick a place to hang up your stationary gnat killer.
Think About Height
Insects fly at an average height of about 5 to 8 feet indoors. Hanging the zappers at this height range will get the job done more effectively and quicker.
Stay Away from Other Sources of Light
Avoid installing your electric gnat killers near other sources of powerful light. This distracts the insects and makes them less likely to head to the device.
Keep Away from Windows and Doors
The main aim of hanging an electric gnat killer indoors is to attract any flying insects that are already within the space. However, if you hang it near entryways, such as windows and doors, you’re inviting them to come in from the outside. That’s the exact opposite of what we’re hoping to achieve with this device.
If your home or business has lots of flying insects buzzing outside, you can hang the zapper on your porch or backyard. Some business owners hang it on a wall near the doorway to keep these pests from bothering their customers.
A Final Note – Electric Gnat Killers
Now that you know all about insect-killing devices, are you going to choose the hanging bug zapper or opt for something more portable? Finding the best electric gnat killers that work on most flies is easy once you know what to look for.
Think about where you need these devices the most. Then, pick something practical, energy-efficient, and powerful enough to get the job done.
To view a complete selection of our pest control products, CLICK HERE!