Do bug zappers work on gnats?
Gnats are tiny flying bugs that are usually hard to see. However, you can definitely feel their effect when they start invading your house in swarms. There are several ways to get rid of gnats, but some of them are better than the rest.
Why Do Gnats Infest my House?
There are multiple reasons why you might see more gnats in your house. You might have forgotten to wipe a sugary spill or left the garbage for too long. Gnats will be attracted to filth, as well as unattended water, in case you have overwatered your plants as they love moisture.
Fungus gnats are usually black or dark gray and have long wings. They might seem harmless, but they can start touching you and are definitely disgusting. Even if they don’t bite, gnats can be quite irritating, so you need to get rid of them.
Moreover, gnats can damage your houseplants. They infect the roots, leaves, and stems of your plants, making them wither and wilt.
However, gnats are not that harmful. The bites usually cause irritation and can make your skin red or itchy. If you have allergies, you might have worse symptoms.
If a gnat bites you, you should apply a cold compress to ease the pain. You can also apply cream to reduce the allergic reaction.
People usually confuse fungus gnats with other black flying bugs like fruit flies. You need to take a look at the bugs to make sure that you’re dealing with gnats.
Unfortunately, gnats reproduce very fast, so you need to take action as soon as you see these bugs roaming around your house.
Ignoring them will only make the problem worse, so do but do bug zappers work on gnats?
Do Bug Zappers Work on Gnats?
- [Effectively Kill Mosquitoes] This Electric Bug Zapper uses a 4200V electrical grid and UV light bulb. The highly efficient and energy-saving fitting...
- [Waterproof & Easy to Hang] The Electric Mosquito Zappers can effectively prevent rain and water. Not only suitable for indoor placement, but also for...
- [Safety Protection Net Design] The mosquito trap is designed with a protective plastic shell inside and outside. Avoid accidents when accidentally...
Yes, they do. Bug zappers attract bugs like gnats to a source of light. When they touch the light, they get electrocuted and die. Bug zappers are usually called electronic traps because the bugs fall and collect in a basket, and you can dispose of them later.
However, zappers won’t get rid of the whole population of gnats. Nevertheless, you can still use zappers to get rid of some bugs while using other methods to keep them at bay.
Alternative Ways to Get Rid of Gnats
- This liquid Dish Soap cuts through grease, while making dishes clean and bright
- Our Dish Soap has a biodegradable formula that contains plant-derived cleaning agents and other thoughtfully chosen ingredients to make grease...
- Garden-inspired Lavender has an original and clean floral scent
- Why Customers Choose Lucy’s Vinegar - From cleaning to cooking, Lucy's 5% Distilled White Vinegar is simply the right choice! Because of our...
- Cooking - Spices up dipping sauces, develops flavor, makes homemade bread crusts golden brown, freshens wilted vegetable’s, substitutes for salt or...
- Cleaning - Yes! White Vinegar for cleaning works fantastically. Check out some of our customer reviews to see how they've applied our Vinegar for...
Gnats are quite annoying but are not impossible to get rid of. Here are a few alternatives to try if you’re dealing with them.
1. Eliminate their Food Source
Gnats won’t be able to survive if there’s no food to eat. The first step to getting rid of them is to make sure that they have no access to nutrition, so they won’t be able to reproduce and grow.
Keep your kitchen clean and take the garbage out because these bugs feed on bacteria, fungus, and filth. Use a cleaning solution and a clean sponge to clean countertops. Rotten fruits and vegetables should be thrown away because their smell attracts these bugs.
No products found.
- NON SCRATCH. Consist of 2 layers - royal blue scrubbing layer and light blue scratch free cellulose sponge layer. Premium scrubbing side cleans...
- DURABLE & LONG LASTING. MR.SIGA scrub sponge are made to last, they maintain the shape well and do not fall apart or crack easily like regular...
- MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANING. Perfect for cleaning more than dishes, pots, pans, but also ideal for sinks, stoves, bathroom and any household cleaning kit...
You should also wash vegetables and fruits after getting them from the store because there might be some tiny eggs of gnats that you’re unable to see. After they hatch, you might be dealing with a severe infestation. Once cleaned, keep the produce in sealed bags and store your veggies and fruits in the fridge to prevent the gnats from eating and reproducing.
Gnats also love moisture, so you need to keep your drains clean. Use a potent drain cleaner to get rid of all the organic material that gnats love to feed on.
You should also avoid overwatering your plants because gnats love rotten plants. Too much water isn’t good for your plants, and will also tempt the gnats to live and reproduce around the stems and roots.
- HIGH-DENSITY MAIN LINE DRAIN OPENER. Ultimate Main Line Opener’s thick, high-density formula sinks through water and clings to pipes to liquify...
- DISSOLVES ORGANIC MATERIAL AND PAPER. Ultimate Main Line Opener dissolves grease, hair, oils, soap scum, baby wipes, and paper products easily.The...
- NON-DAMAGING TO PIPES. Green Gobbler’s industrial-strength drain clog remover is tough where it counts. While it takes care of the toughest clogs,...
2. Use Apple Cider Vinegar
Get half a cup of water and add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a tablespoon of sugar, and a tablespoon of dish soap. Bugs will get attracted to the mixture and try to drink it. However, once they touch the mixture, they will get trapped in the soap and eventually die.
You can make several bowls and leave them where you see a lot of gnats. After a while, you will see the bowl filled with trapped bugs.
- Country of origin is United States of America
- The package dimension of the product is 6.8"L x 3.5"W x 1.8"H
- The package weight of the product is 1.05 pounds
3. Make a Wine Trap
Add some old wine to a bowl and add a tablespoon of dish soap. Leave this bowl where you have lots of gnats, and they will get attracted to the mixture. Check the bowl after a while, and you will see lots of trapped bugs that got stuck in the soap.
4. Use Fly Paper
Fly paper can catch gnats and other flying bugs. Fly paper is made of sticky sheets of bright paper that gnats will be attracted to. Gnats are usually attracted to bright colors, so these sheets are usually yellow or orange.
- VALUE SET: Available in 4, 8 and 12 packs to of fruit fly traps for indoors. Designed to attract house flies, mosquito, knat, gnats, along with many...
- EASY TO USE: Just simply open the wrap of our fly catcher, fold panels into place, remove the protective paper from the glue strip, and lastly apply...
- LONG LASTING: Our bug indoor trap with a double strength adhesive secures a reliable and lasting application with every use and utilizes sticky glue...
These sticky sheets are available in many shapes, so you can stick them in a planting pot. Gnats will be attracted to the pot and eventually stick to the sheet. If you have lots of gnats in your house, you can stick these sheets on windows. Gnats are attracted to light, and as they try to reach the light outside, they will accidentally get stuck to the sheets.
- Pest Control: Dual sided sticky bug cards for mosquito, leafminer, aphid, and other flying pest problems. Protect your best inside plant from fungus...
- Easy To Use: Peel off a trap from the stack and place in a houseplant, a home kitchen, or a garden. Highly rated zapper catchers to finally protect...
- Organic Gardening: Safe way to remove small pests with non toxic and no harsh ingredients. Fruit Flies, Gnats and other small flying insects are...
5. Make a Candle Trap
- 100 unscented long burning white tea light candles come neatly and tightly shrink-wrapped and packaged in protective storage boxes
- Our tea light candles are made with lead free 100% cotton wick for a safe, clean, and smokeless burn
- Stonebriar’s long lasting tea light candles are hand poured with quality sustainable palm wax in Europe for an extended 6 to 7 hour burn time
You can set up these repellent candles outside the house or keep the lights out if you have gnats in the kitchen. You should never leave the candles unattended because one of them can accidentally fall.
Gnats will get attracted to the flame, as long as there’s no other source of light. They will either hit the flame and die or fall into the water. The dish soap traps the gnats, and they will be unable to fly.
Wrap Up – Do Bug Zappers Work on Gnats?
Gnats are annoying bugs that love to feed on fungus and prefer to live in moist areas. Although you can use a bug zapper for gnats to get rid of these insects, there are other ways that allow you to get rid of them for good.
First, you should eliminate any food source that might attract gnats to your house. You should also think about what gnats love and make traps that attract them to their death. Keeping your home clean and moisture-free is an excellent way to keep gnats away.
For more of our non-toxic gnat solutions, CLICK HERE!