The question is: are CO2 mosquito traps for no see ums worth it?
No see ums is a term used to identify a family of Ceratopogonidae insects. These are biting midges found in over 5,000 species of pests around the globe. You could include a long list of insects that would fall under no see ums. Many put the mosquito on the list. It is one of the most annoying creatures out there, famous for ruining near-perfect days.
- 1 CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Process of the No See UMS
- 2 What Is a CO2 Trap?
- 3 Do CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums Do the Job?
- 4 CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Double Up Your Attack
- 5 Other Factors Affecting Your Battle With Mosquitos
- 6 Different Types of CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums
- 7 Other Considerations
- 8 CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Before You Buy Property or Hit the Road
- 9 CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Conclusion
CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Process of the No See UMS
- What We Catch – Attracts and traps mosquitoes, biting flies, house flies, moths, no-see-ums, June beetles, wasps, yellow jackets, stink bugs, gnats,...
- 3-Way Protection – The UV light and TiO2 coating lure flying insects to the trap, then the powerful, whisper-quiet fan sucks them into the basket
- Powerful Protection – The trap effectively protects up to 1/2 acre of your property
This bug, like the mosquito, sustains its populace by laying eggs in moist areas. Upon maturation, the adult pests take flight.
In general, both sexes of the mosquito consume sweet-tasting substances for nourishment. Only females seek blood meals. It manages their egg production. The female is capable of attacking all forms of life, including other insects.
Once fed, the impregnated insect finds a safe and comfortable place to drop her eggs. She’ll look for standing bodies of water, hollows in trees, wet sands, etc.
After 28 days, the new pests mature and begin the cycle again. The problem is the cycle starts anew every day with different females dropping eggs that fuel the populace.
That’s why it’s important to initiate a strong, long-term strategy!
What Is a CO2 Trap?
- CONTENTS: This package contains 1 BG-Mosquitaire, 1 CO2 emitter 1 BG-Sweetscent attractant, which can increase catch rate. This combination captures...
- MOSQUITO CONTROL: This solution reduces biting pressure and mosquito populations year-round. It doesn’t create pesticide resistance. Using visual...
- BEST USE: Targeting hungry mosquitoes, this trap is placed outdoors in a humid and shady position, with electric power for its fan. It’s designed to...
The CO2 mosquito traps for no see ums attract mosquitoes through carbon dioxide emissions — a gas produced as people and animals breathe. That CO2 is essentially why the pests fly around the head before landing on your skin.
A carbon dioxide mosquito trap helps reduce, control, and eliminate mosquito populations. Technically, the traps mimic human and animal breathing. The insects believe they have located a potential blood source.
The ultimate goal of the trap is to trap and kill as many females as possible before they lay eggs.
Do CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums Do the Job?
This is a question that has the usual pros and cons.
CO2 traps are still relatively new technology, having only been around since the late 1990s. Manufacturers continue to refine the traps.
The American Mosquito Control Association is an organization dedicated to improving quality of life and public health through the suppression of the mosquito population. One of their technical advisers, Joe Conlon, acknowledges the effectiveness of the CO2 device.
But he believes most of the issues surrounding failings with CO2 mosquito traps for no see ums center around the consumer knowledge base. He says, “these are not set-and-forget devices — each requires some level of maintenance.”
He cautions “against putting too much faith in traps as your sole means of control. These fly traps represent an evolving technology that is a most welcome addition to our mosquito control armamentarium. Their potential is great but shouldn’t be overestimated.”
CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Double Up Your Attack
- CONTENTS: This package contains TWO BG-GAT traps and ONE pack of 10 sticky cards, which captures Asian tiger and yellow fever mosquitoes as they seek...
- TARGET PROFILE: Asian tiger and yellow fever mosquitoes are vectors of fatal diseases including yellow fever, Dengue fever, and more. This mosquito...
- BEST USE: BG-GAT requires no batteries or electric power to operate. The two traps included are suitable for one garden, but more traps to cover a...
Experts agree that a sound strategy for eliminating mosquitoes is more than one approach. Buzz traps alongside CO2 mosquito traps, for example. Or repellants with candles.
An important avenue is a thorough inspection of the infested area and removing what draws the pest population in the first list. This includes:
Other Factors Affecting Your Battle With Mosquitos
Ironically, your behavior can attract the no see ums. Here are some actions and conditions that get their attention.
- Alcohol consumption
- Body temps
- Dark clothes
- Blood type
- Salt and potassium levels
The strength of your strategies to reduce the insect population also depends on:
- Proximity to insect areas
- Individual-level of tolerance
- The mosquito population size
- Type and size of breeding habitat
- Direction and wind velocity
Here are a few things you can do about how you and your environment attract ums.
Different Types of CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums
The market has several types of CO2 mosquito traps designed by trustworthy manufacturers.
High-tech Wireless Traps
- TURN IT ON… MOSQUITOES GONE: Thermacell Patio Shield creates a 15-foot zone of protection against mosquitos. Ideal for patios, decks, pools,...
- HEAT-ACTIVATED: No cords or batteries. Powered by a safe and compact 12-hour fuel cartridge (included), repel without smoke, flames, or citronella....
- EFFECTIVELY REPEL WITHOUT SPRAY OR SCENT: Repel mosquitoes without DEET sprays or lotions on your skin. No smoke, flames, or harsh odors like...
This is a high-end device. The CO2 mosquito trap communicates with your devices to provide updates on how your traps are functioning. You get status reports on propane tank status, lure time, net replacement, troubleshooting needs, and more through text messages and email.
Corded Mosquito Trap
A corded trap system eliminates the need for monitoring a propane tank. The only real worry is safeguarding the cord — they are easily nicked by a weed eater or lawnmower. You place the trap away from the home, living areas, and outdoor play spaces. That means you need a long cord.
Independent Mosquito Trap
This third option is a self-contained solution. The independent trap won’t need fuel or a cord because it runs on batteries. Its net will need regular replacement, though. You’ll need to examine the net at least once a month.
The best way to tackle a no see ums population is with a multi-tiered strategy. Along with your CO2 mosquito traps for no-see-ums, here are some other tactics you can apply.
Screens with Small Mesh
- ✪Multiple Usage - Steel Mesh can be used for security mesh, construction and building meshes, fan guard mesh, fireplace screen mesh, foundation vent...
- ✪304 Stainless Steel Material - VERY stiff, VERY sturdy and NOT rusty. You will not be forming these sheets into organic shapes absolutely! This...
- ✪Product Details - Material: 304 stainless steel wire, Weaving Method: plain weave, Mesh: 20 mesh, Size: 11”X11”(280mmX280mm), Aperture: 1mm,...
These tiny insects can easily wiggle through most window and door screens. They can be as small as a capital letter on a coin. They could sit unnoticed on a pencil’s sharp end. The standard screens are no threat to ums. To keep them out, use a tighter mesh weave.
Cranking up the HVAC will help. These pests look for high humidity and cannot tolerate the cold. We’re not saying max out your utility bills; just take into account you’re less likely to get bites in your own home with cooler climates.
Carefully Choosing Clothes
Long pants and shirt sleeves, full-length socks, and other smart clothing choices reduce surface areas mosquitos can attack. Lighter colors can help too. Apply repellent to exposed areas.
- Keep out mosquitoes, noseeum, black flies, wasps, bugs and other pesky insects with MEKKAPRO's Natural Mosquito Net. Whether hanging the screen...
- Scientifically proven optimal hexagon mesh design. Made for maximum breathability yet impenetrable by pesky mosquitoes, insects and other bugs,...
- Sleep well at night, relax easy with screen protection in the hammock, treehouse and enjoy the outdoors the way it was meant to be. Without pesky...
Drape netting over the patio umbrella. Use a hat with no-see-um netting. Section off play areas.
- DECK AND PATIO AREA REPELLENT: Repels mosquitoes and other flying insects in outdoor areas.
- CREATES AN INSECT BARRIER: 20-ounce candle provides up to 40 hours of protection.
- MADE WITH REAL CITRONELLA OIL: Keeps mosquitoes away from outdoor activities for hours.
You can get everything from candles to sprays. The smart thing to do is go with DEET-labeled products. Use them as instructed. Too much, too little, or just putting a repellent out may not do an effective job.
Spraying of Insecticides
- All-Natural Insecticide | Made from 100% natural and non-toxic ingredients. Environment-friendly mosquito repellent & ant killer
- Eliminates Pests on Contact | Designed to stop insects in their tracks. Kills bedbugs, cockroaches, ants, wasps & other pests on contact
- Easy-to-Use | Comes as a pre-mixed solution in a ready-to-use commercial spray bottle
Insecticide application is different from repellents. Insecticides are powerful chemicals directed at areas of infestation.
Unfortunately, research determines this attack is overall not very efficient. It can eliminate existing populations, but the impact dissipates. Eggs left behind hatch and quickly replace the older generation.
One option to prevent bites is to avoid going out between dusk and dawn.
CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Before You Buy Property or Hit the Road
If you own or plan to purchase a property, consult maps and other data to see if the region supports no see ums.
If you like to camp, hike, garden, fish, hunt, or generally spend time outdoors — especially near bodies of water — you’re looking at a habitat for no see ums. Take some CO2 bait trips along with other protectorates.
CO2 Mosquito Traps for No See Ums – Conclusion
So, are CO2 mosquito traps worth it for no see ums?
Yes, but it’s understood you shouldn’t depend on them as the sole answer. Mosquitos are tough and durable. From CO2 traps to cleaning to choosing the right clothes, there are many ways to tackle the mosquito.
To shop our complete line of non-toxic pest control products, CLICK HERE!
- CATCH PESKY BUGS: Trap mosquitoes, gnats, flies, horse fly, housefly, nat, lantern fly, knat, and many other irritating flying insect with this...
- PROTECT YOUR HOUSE: Hanging hook lets you place the trap anywhere near common bug infested areas in your home to lure, and catch all pests. Try...
- THE GREAT OUTDOORS: Perfect for porches, garage, patios, gardens, stable, lawn, chicken coop, and any popular hotbeds for flying insects to keep them...